1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SNAP economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 19, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You'd have someone not on food stamps lined up to go right in there and replace them, eh?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I posted this link on the Politics thread this morning, for the inevitable discussion of how poorly the poor manage their money.

How about we reserve this thread for a discussion of the journalistic attributes of the story?

Like Alma, I understood Saslow's choice to spin up the frenzy at the end of the story, but felt uncomfortable as it did so.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At least you are admitting that it was a "set up" post. You got no buyers though for where you wanted to go with it.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not a setup post at all. I think it's a really fascinating look at a new phenomenon well done.

I also think the posts likely to follow any story posted here about food stamps are pretty predictable.

As this thread proves.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We can agree to disagree but I've seen and admired your work on here for years. First post that followed yours and mentioned poor and money management would have been followed by you pulling the rug out and getting to the root of where you wanted to go in the first place. Nothing wrong with it. In fact I enjoy watching your Socratic skills at work.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Whatever.

How about we take it to the politics thread?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's akin to saying, "Wanna step outside?" with pool cues and broken beer bottles in hand :D

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're not paying the rent anyways because they're deciding to pay for their cell phone and tattoos, and there's nothing in the story one way or anohter that says they're paying to heat the place.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I very much would rather talk about the story, but, as a point of note: Once the bill's been incurred, it's wise to pay it, even incrementally. Nothing sinks credit faster than credit reports for unpaid minor bills.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, you don't incur those bills for unnecessary things in the first place. Such as bills for tattoos.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Now, the cell phones, while high, could just be the phone bill for them. A lot of people don't have landlines, and to keep a job a phone is virtually a necessity. Now, with as cheap as you can get a landline and with the discounted plans out there from places like T-Mobile, the level of their bill is definitely high, but having a cell phone isn't automatically a bad thing for a poor person depending on the circumstances and the amount of the bill.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Back to the story: Is it a reach to say the piece is using the chaos of the super market to reflect the instability of their economic situation? I'm not sure that's exactly what's being inferred. I'm more inclined to believe its a simpler narrative about how unable many of these people are able to cope with the reality of their lives. How can a family like this ever escape this cycle if a trip to get groceries is becomes such a overwhelming task?

I think the point of the ending is simply to show how thin the margin for error is. Even the safety net is no long term solution, but these are still real people's lives here, not numbers in a Paul Ryan budget.

Draft saved Draft deleted