1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SNAP economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Couple days old, but a powerful slice-of-life profile from Eli Saslow, who's been writing about the economy for the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/food-stamps-put-rhode-island-town-on-monthly-boom-and-bust-cycle/2013/03/16/08ace07c-8ce1-11e2-b63f-f53fb9f2fcb4_story.html

The opening 11 grafs -- the first page of five -- is just terrific. A seamless mixture of images, numbers, plays on words, and details.

The ending, to me, creates conflicting emotions. The final anecdote seems just a little overcooked, like the economy is conspiring against this mother fulfilling her grocery list, and it's somehow enlisted her own toddler daughters to rampage through the store. It's a pretty solid plot line -- the meltdown at the store -- and that it's so common seems to make a little unrelated, thematically, to the story at hand. And part of me wonders if a reporter trailing her around makes her a worse, more inattentive mother than she'd normally be.

At any rate, worth the time and read.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Quick question: Saslow started off as a sports writer, correct?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Paying $360 a month to lease a car? And depending on food stamps to eat?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Being extremely dumb about money is one of the main reasons people get in these positions in the first place.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know, but a quick search seems to suggest yes, he did.

6. Did the family's SNAP benefits go down? Originally, they were getting more the $500 a month, yet the article stated they used half ($168) on the first. Mom also needs to get the kids under control. Mine can be monsters in the store, but they aren't "just holding" food.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I used to work in this city, and don't doubt the figures. Talk radio is having a field day with it, obviously (pretending that white people don't have these problems).
    Rhode Island cut taxes for the rich in 2006, but the "job creators" didn't fulfill their part of the bargain. This is the result.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're kidding me, right? If I'm the landlord and I'm reading this, I'm evicting their asses the next time they don't pay. They can bunk at the tattoo parlor.

9. Shouldn't the tenants be warned their choices are wrong first before evicting them?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Depends. Are the tenants working for the landlord?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think the CEO of the nearest Fortune 500 company should have to pay everybody's rent. I know Baron's with me, who else?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Foxboro is only about 20 minutes away. Tom Brady should play everybody's rent.

Draft saved Draft deleted