1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Smothers Brothers retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 31, 2010.

1. Grew up watching their shows (if memory serves, they had four). Caught their act in Fort Worth about four years ago, and it was as funny as I remembered. They also interspersed it with clips of their old shows.

I mean, who doesn't remember Pat Paulsen for President?

Their humor drove the CBS censors crazy, even when it was only suggestive. To wit:

Tom: I went to the ballet last night.

Dick: Bolshoi?

Tom: No, really.

Wish they would go on one last goodbye tour. I'd pay to see them work again.

2. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Saw them last year. The act hasn't changed but they were still very funny. Maybe it's more nostalgia than anything. Please don't underrate their impact in the 1960s when they stood up to CBS. TV was so staid then and they pushed the boundaries hard. I need to get to one of those record-collector stores and see if I can find some of their old albums. (Yes, I own a turntable).

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

They were the most popular show on TV during their peak. They also launched the career of singer Glen Campbell, who isn't mentioned in the future stars they helped.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Smothers Brothers were the spiritual ancestors of "Saturday Night Live" -- irreverent, topical, slightly-political humor (with Steve Martin the common thread).

Well, SNL in its classic incarnation, anyway.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Comedy albums were a big deal in the '60s -- Newhart, Allan Sherman, Cosby and the Smothers Brother.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

According to Wikipedia, the Smothers Brothers were the uncredited singing voices of the Tom Brothers. Whaddaya know.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tommy, of course, was the rhythm guitar player on "Give Peace A Chance."

Note how he carefully attempts to keep his back to the camera, because CBS wasn't gonna be wild on the idea of him appearing with either Crazy John or Timothy Leary.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Sloan,

First to win the Grammy for Best New Artist: Bob Newhart.

o-<

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Into the '70s, too -- Rodney Dangerfield, Steve Martin, Robert Klein, etc.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I have a couple George Carlin albums ... but nothing to play them on.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Just finished reading David Bianculli's "Dangerous Funny: The Uncensored History of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour." Out-standing book - a lot of stuff about the brothers, their early career, and the show I didn't know.
    Some examples:
    * They opened the show in early '67, shortly after their sitcom of the previous year (with Tom playing an angel) bombed. They just beat Carol Burnett to the punch - two weeks after Comedy Hour was rushed into production for a February instead of September airing, she exercised an option in her contract for a variety show of her own.
    * The Who actually lip-synched the yet-to-be-released single "I Can See for Miles" just before the infamous "My Generation" performance.
    * Tom's intransgience and sarcasm with the network suits got the show run off the air (not long after it had actually been renewed for a fourth season), but he was clever enough to sneak an interracial kiss into the same show in which Harry Belafonte's "Don't Stop the Carnival" was cut, the beginning of the show's end. It was in a Bonanza spoof (available on YouTube) and involved Cass Elliot and Rosey Grier...each playing the opposite gender.
    * Their relationship with writer-musician Mason Williams went back to 1960, during their first gigs as a duo in Aspen (they started with a third non-Smothers member in '59).
    * Most of the writing staff loved marijuana, but did not partake on the set due to the grueling pace of production (shows were taped nine days prior to airing, and had to be shipped to New York for standards and practices reviews...and a week of fighting over content).

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Then there was the excising of Pete Seeger singing "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy."

I don't think this is from the show:

You think of the Smothers Brothers as big, old squares at the time with their short hair, but there were only in their early 30s at the time of the variety show. Plus, there was their folk music cred.

Draft saved Draft deleted