1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Smoking Lamp Is Lit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OTD, Aug 9, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thats why Canada and Chicago are great now.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

At the last Rush concert I attended, a group of three guys decided to fire up something else. It got to the point where I had to ask them to blow up, not out.

Um, yeah ... it wasn't cigarettes. Thank goodness it's an outdoor venue.

If any of you think Western PA is bad for smoking areas, I present to you much of North and South Carolina. Awful for smoke. Then again, throughout North Carolina the bumper stickers "Tobacco Money Pays My Bills" is still prevalent on pickup trucks.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I smoke and I'm actually happy that NJ has banned smoking in restaurants (no so happy about bar ban).
    Dinner out is a much more pleasant experience now and if I want a smoke between dinner and dessert, I can go outside.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think it should be up to the bar owner if they want people to be able to smoke or not. That way the non-smokers could go to the restaurants that have bars, or bars that are designated as non-smoking establishments. I also think smoking shouldn't be banned in bowling alleys. I just can't imagine people not smoking in a bowling alley. Besides, it was always a great cover in high school when I came home smelling like smoke from a party. I'd just tell my parents I went bowling.

5. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I don't think that's rational because if you leave it up to the bar, bar owners almost have to stay smoking because they'll risk losing money otherwise. Bar A isn't gonna go smoke-free when Bar B is right next door and allows smoking. I've had this conversation with smokers plenty of times, and almost every conversation ends up with them getting pissed. The usual line is "you don't have to go to the bar if you don't like the smoke!" My response is this: What is the primary purpose of a bar? What does a bar make most of its money off? Selling alcohol. Not letting people smoke. If I want to visit an establishment to purchase what it's selling, I shouldn't have to reek like smoke when I leave.

6. Boognish

Boognish Member

Good God. You guys are party animals.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I wish more smokers took that attitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted