1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Smoking Gun outs mega-pranksters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

what a bunch of fucking douchebags.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Exactly. If I were them, the *law* catching up to me would probably be the least of my worries. :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. Armchair_QB

If nothing else these fuckwits should now be candidates for a boatload of civil suits. Granted, it doesn't sound like they have much to take but I think if I was tricked into drinking a glass of piss it would be worth tying these fucks up in court for the rest of their lives. Plus, you'd wind up owning a nice trailer in Diboll, Texas.

4. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Just out of curiosity, how stupid to you have to be to get tricked into drinking urine?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Guesswork here, but could it have something to do with differing privacy laws in Canada and the United States or some other reason it would be difficult for the first two douchebags to sue them for invasion of privacy? The first two guys ID'd live in Canada; for the ringleader, they made a strong point of saying he gave them explicit permission to print his identity and address if they could find it. Sounds like maybe they were on less solid legal footing, then, with the other two.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is Borat taken to a criminal extreme. Fuck these guys.

The article kind of explains it, though it wouldn't have worked on me.

It's not that hard to trick someone into drinking piss if you have the correct recepticle. When I was at Ball State, some dormmates and I convinced a cocky pain-in-the-ass dude from our floor into drinking piss in a rigged card game. A Budweiser bottle hides piss well, apparently.

Of course, he was drunk to the point of alcohol poisoning at that point, which made it much easier.

I can't believe I just analyzed the why's and wherefore's of piss drinking.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's very much human nature to follow directions from authority. Of course, it's also human nature to think that we are above that sort of thing and it doesn't really apply to us, just like everyone thinks advertising doesn't work on them.

I just checked out their chat room, and it's still active with most of the people mentioned in the article still in there.

8. No.
    They ID'd at least two other people, including a guy in Texas and the girl in Maine, who much much less culpable in the this scheme than the two the article did not identify.
    They tracked the others down. You don't need permission to print someone's name and address in the newspaper.
    The longer I think about the bigger probelm I have with it.

9. Armchair_QB

Makes you wonder if the two who weren't ID'd helped TSG track down the other folks in exchange for not revealing their names.

10. That was the only thing I could come up with. But if that was the case, why mention them in the story period?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Here is an article with some more insight on how TSG was able to identify them. Some pretty great trickery there.

http://www.windsorstar.com/Smoking+says+Windsor+Pranknet+ringleader/1859949/story.html

12. Armchair_QB

I didn't know TSG was owned by Time-Warner.

Draft saved Draft deleted