1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Smarties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Cavett interviews from yesterday led to deep YouTube rabbit holing.

Who do you consider intellectually honest or dishonest and show your work with links.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I want to say thanks for posting that video. It’s hard for me to imagine a time when mainstream television would have show something so, for lack of a better word, intellectual. I grew up in the Donahue, Geraldo, Springer era of talk shows where it was just a free for all of stupidity.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I don't think you can put Donahue in that group.

swingline and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. By the late 1980s, he had gotten tawdry, but never on the level of the rest.

lakefront likes this.
  5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

IIRC Oprah got out of it when it started to turn into a circus. I will always appreciate Donahue for the show on transgender, gay, and others, who at the time was really an education. Also this lady, who at the time, I did not like because I did not understand...
    , Jane Elliot.

here on Oprah, but Phil had her earlier, I think. And Oprah!!! Imagine a black woman hosting a show like that back then. I love her for that.

cyclingwriter2 and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted