1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The smartest show on TV that still airs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt Stephens, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Well, at least smartest US show?

For me, I think it's easily South Park. I've always loved it, especially around Season 3/4 when Matt and Trey stopped simply doing crude humor and made it relevant to current events. After living in Colorado, I fell in love with it even more because of all the local jokes and the fact addresses are accurate.

I've really felt this season has been very well done, especially its take on current events and the commentary on the video game industry (particularly EA).

What's your pick?

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

South Park, by far ... and I love how fast they can turn around putting together an episode to take advantage of current events (I saw the "documentary" on Comedy Central, and they can get an episode ready in 5-6 days if necessary) ...

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My pick would be The Good Wife. A network of political and personal entanglements where everything seems to logically flow

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I assume we're sticking with scripted shows here, otherwise the answer is clearly The Daily Show.

But my pick would be a tie between Parks and Rec and The Good Wife.

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm saying The Good Wife and still Burn Notice. That show keeps me on edge week in and week out.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Arrested Development (when it returns)

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leave It To Beaver.

It still airs on reruns. Does that count?

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Jeopardy, hands down.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tosh.0

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

What is my choice, as well?

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Beavis and Butthead

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd go with Mad Men for a couple of reasons. One - you have to watch it, because often more is communicated by a gesture, expression or just a character's posture than words can convey. Two - the dialogue is limited and often it is what is left unsaid that is the real story.
    Three - it operates on multiple levels. Don Draper's rise and fall, the rise of female workers, the impact of advertising on society, the societal change going on in the 60s all wrapped into weekly and season-long plots.

Draft saved Draft deleted