1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The small pleasures of our profession

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by forever_town, May 8, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And no, I'm not talking about our paychecks.

I got an e-mail from one of my student writers tonight. I make liberal use of undergraduate and graduate students who need clips for their J-school classes at my shops.

This particular one (whom I've sent several e-mails to with feedback and advice over the course of the semester) wrote me and thanked me for 1) giving him an opportunity to meet his clips requirement and 2) thanked me for all the advice I've given him.

The previous semester, another student writer did the same thing. I remember giving her some feedback, but not as much as the guy this semester. However, I also remember her having a "lightbulb moment" where the story she turned in this one particular week was a home run when her best effort was a bloop single to right.

I've mentioned before that I get a lot out of helping young (and even older!) writers learn the trade. Getting those e-mails is an example of what makes me feel so good about it.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

That's cool. Savor it.

In this day and age, and with how bleek the biz is, you have to remember to enjoy some things still. I still enjoy the rush of a deadline, still enjoy beating the competition again and again, and still enjoy having laughs with my buddies at work.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

great post, FT. For me, in the past few weeks, three young ladies who you used to be agate clerks for us used me as a reference.

One will be studying in Germany next January, one just landed a gig as a fulltime nurse right out of college and another did the same with an accounting firm.

Sad part is, all three will make boatloads more money than me! Just kidding about the sad part... good for them.

I'm proud of all three.

4. Ah, they all probably have BLOGS! now.
    Nice story, ft.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

For me the simple pleasure is getting paid to go watch sporting events, something I'd be paying to do if I had a different job.

6. Honestly? The guys. When I leave, I'll miss the guys on the beat with me the most. Closest thing to a fraternity since college. Having beers after a basketball game or dinner on the road. Emails flying among us all day long. I mean, you'll always make new groups of friends depending on what you're doing at the time, but we've got a pretty good group of guys on my beat now, all in our early 30s and in the same stage of life, for the most part. That's what I probably find the most pleasure in when it comes to this job.

7. longgone

longgone Member

Amen to Waylon. There are few other professions, in my experience, which have such great comradeship, not only among people on the staff but among those you compete with and "live" with much of the year, particularly on the road.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oh, believe me, I am!

Draft saved Draft deleted