1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The slow death of the great American newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 22, 2015.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

3OF, that's a good (but sad) read. Thanks!

The odd thing to me is that story was carried by a UK platform. I would have thought someone in the US would have carried that particular Philly story first.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Vombatus-
    The Brits are less reticent to point out the ill health of our traditional institutions.
    Somehow, though, The Guardian isn't on life support.
    I saw a story yesterday that print media is thriving in rural India.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've seen some old fart opine about why he "still believes in newspapers" on Romenesko.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Whenever I see old pictures of thriving newsrooms or watch an old movie like All the President's Men or even Superman (they showed the inside of the Daily Planet often) I always lament that I entered the business in 2007. My second job was a 100,000 circulation and it still kind of resembled the thriving days but even then there were pockets of empty desks, including one adjacent to my desk that repeatedly warned me to not get to comfortable.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As tough as it's been to see the decline, I'm grateful to have witnessed a thriving newsroom in the early 90s located in the heart of a downtown American city, where you could feel the press runs begin and take home the work you did at the end of a night shift. I feel bad for those that won't have those memories.

Bronco77 likes this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It was great in the '80s, but then it went too far.

8. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Great post. The first few years of my career in the early '80s were spent in a newsroom that had a clattering AP teletype machine, a constant cigarette stench that lingered even when the room was vacant, and massive stacks of paper on almost every desk. I don't really miss the noise and definitely don't miss all that smoke, but I do wish my younger colleagues could have experienced the exciting atmosphere. It's impossible to get that feeling in a room that looks like an insurance office, with dozens of empty desks and an off-site printing facility.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good story, 3_O_F ... and a cautionary tale for other industries:

12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted