1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sky is falling on print newspapers faster than you think

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The 2015 figures do not include promotional copies. That includes price deals for papers, such as $2 a week.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Call the airports and check if they still sell newspapers.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

When I worked in Alabama 30 years ago, it was a little more than 400,000 during the week, with separate AM and PM papers back then. As I recall, Sunday circulation was more than 600,000, and the Sunday paper was readily available in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and the Carolinas, as well as all of Georgia.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I remember, thanks. It was everywhere in the Southeast then. A regional giant.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The sky is falling, yet vets and rookies, alike, are rushing to apply for jobs in Podunk that pay $25K/year.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One reason for the rush is that the number of jobs are shrinking.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

My mistake.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

USA Today's shrinkage is hilarious. Gannett leading the way to the demise of newspapers. Seems only fitting they are leading everybody to the graveyard since Gannett's policies through the years have been the most laughable of all the chains.

Draft saved Draft deleted