1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SJ Video Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Randy The Ram: "'90s sucked."

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If there's a cheese wing in the SJ Video Hall of Fame, I nominate "Play The Game" by Queen.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But since MTV and VH1 stopped showing videos on a regular basis sometime in the mid-90s, all the best videos came out in the 80s. ;D

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i do, it's called guns and roses. and aside from some queensryche and a little 3 doors down, almost everything else sucked. we've had this discussion before.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Isn't there a Zack Attack video you should be nominating? :)

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not since Mindy took over.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

OK, Since we're talking videso I'll play.

Someone To Love -- Fountains of Wayne: Demetri Martin in red underoos.

Knights of Cydonia -- Muse: Just wierd, space/cowboy epic movie trailer.

3's and 7's -- Queens of the Stone Age: Again, I just like these fake movie trailers, especially when they're for something as trashy as this.

Cochise -- Audioslave: Love the song, love the visual with the fireworks.

Ulysses -- Franz Ferdinand: Just came out recently, really made an impression.

And finally....

Chelsea Dagger -- The Fratellis: Who doesn't like pin-ups/vaudeville girls?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sabotage kicks ass. Beavis says so:

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Union of the Snake by Duran Duran.

Lock. This. Thread.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Live: Lightning Crashes

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have no idea how Dokken's career survived the "Burning Like A Flame" video. Wait a minute...it didn't. (Can't find it on YouTube, probably for the better)

Poison's "Flesh And Blood (Sacrifice)" was initially banned by MTV. If you think the sword in Rock of Ages was a bit phallic, holy fuckballs, check out the imagery at 2:13:

Buncha record execs in the fall of '90: "You know what the world needs? A song that sounds like Winger but has a George Michael-esque video." The result was Styx' "Love Is The Ritual," which is just horrid beyond words.

Oh no! Night Ranger is missing! The search continues after 24 years. Check out the lamest band-in-turmoil scene ever at the 1:40 mark. I think they're arguing over who has to reply to my fan letters.

The awesomeness of Steelheart's "I'll Never Let You Go" needs no introduction:

And a couple sadly overlooked hair metal gems from the summer of '91:

kingofthehill, "If I Say." This song should have been huge. Much better than average power ballad. Check out the "Hard Block" sign in the upper left. That's right. MTV actually aired theme-based blocks of videos ALL FUCKING DAY in 1991.

House of Lords, "Remember My Name."
    I have no idea how this song wasn't a mammoth, monster hit. Bombastic sound, forlorn lyrics, hot chicks in the video. They had all the ingredients but it tanked. I blame Gene Simmons (he signed the band to his record label, which, like everything else he's done outside of Kiss, failed miserably).

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Steelheart sucks.

Oh, and Bret Michaels appears to like fire and what I assume is an albino snake. If it's not an albino snake, I'm really, truly frightened.

Draft saved Draft deleted