1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SJ.com Baseball Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Skimming other's ballots again. Mizzou, I agree with most of yours. I'm on the fence with Morris (leaning against) and Vizquel (leaning for). Vizquel is damn close to Ozzie Smith defensively and probably a better hitter.

Also, add Luis Tiant to the list. A quick comparison between three pitchers.

Tiant 229-172 3.30 ERA, 2,416 K; Postseason: 3-0, 2.86 ERA; (4-time 20-game winner)

Catfish Hunter (who's in the Hall): 224-166 3.26 ERA 2,012 K; Post: 9-6, 3.26 ERA; (5-time 20-game winner)

Schilling: 216-146, 3.46 ERA 3,116 K; Post 11-2; 2.23 ERA (3-time 20-game winner).

Of course, Schill is from a different era. I'm on the fence with him (leaning for). Tiant and Hunter were contemporaries. And in the year of hte pitcher (1968), Tiant was 21-9 with a 1.60 ERA; Hunter was 13-13 with a 3.30 ERA.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can you put Vizquel in and not Dave Concepcion?

3. Mizzougrad96

One of my favorite baseball writers said voting for the HOF is easy because if you have to think for more than a few seconds if someone is worthy, they're not...

I've always liked that thinking. Morris is one of the cases where I didn't follow that. My initial reaction is yes, but then you look at his stats and it's a no.

4. Mizzougrad96

The ones on there I took pause with are:

Juan Gonzalez - Two MVPs, four top 5 MVP finishes and man was one of the most dominant players of the 1990s. I still say no.

Barry Larkin - My initial reaction is no, but his teammates loved him, was a great fielder, a good batter and a good team leader. I wouldn't vote for him, but I think most will.

Fred McGriff - I'm a bigger McGriff fan than most. Eight seasons with more than 100 RBI, 493 HR and 1,550 RBI.

Larry Walker - For a few years, I thought he was one of the best in the game, but he played at Coors, was injured a lot, and still didn't even hit any of the milestone numbers.

5. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Forgot about Concepcion. A case can be made for him too. I know there are some writers who support him. His and Vizquel's hitting stats are close. And Ozzie's for that matter. Vizquel has a career BA of .273, Concepcion .266 and Ozzie .262. Games played, at-bats, runs scored, RBIs and SB all seem to be in the same ballpark. I think Vizquel was better defensively than Concepcion. I'd support both ahead of Tramell.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think both Vizquel and Concepcion are better than Larkin and Larkin is going to get in.

7. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

You're probably right.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You can't just say Viquel deserves to be in just by comparing his numbers to Ozzie Smith's, though he both were great defensive shortstops. Vizquel is not nearly as good of a candidate as Smith was.

Teams have come to expect more and more of their shortstops offensively. That was already happening in Smith's career, but it became more pronounced in Vizquel's prime.

Was Omar Vizquel ever considered the top shortstop in the American League (where he spent most of his prime seasons)? Ozzie Smith was higher in the shortstop hierarchy during most of his playing days. You have to compare these guys to their contemporaries as well as one another.

Smith probably made a few more All-Star games than he should have, but that does not account for the huge difference in that category. He made it 15 times to only three for Vizquel. He also won more Gold Glloves, 13-11. Vizquel may be a better hitter, though not by much, but Smith was a much better base-stealer. Ozzie Smith is 21st all-time in baseball history with 580 steals. Vizquel is 77th

, with 580 in his career to 384 for Vizquel.

Smith also played for a World Series championship team. Vizquel has not.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Larkin was a MUCH better hitter than Vizquel, plus he has an MVP and a World Series championship on his resume. Obviously, he wasn't on Vizquel's level defensively, but he was very good in the field as well.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Not sure how you put Concepcion in over Trammell (pretty much the same player as Larkin).

Anyway, my list (didn't try to narrow it down since it spans so many eras). Also -- lifetime bans and those associated with the steroids scandal should get a notation on their plaque but not be kept out.

Roberto Alomar
    Craig Biggio
    Bert Blyleven
    Barry Bonds
    Roger Clemens
    Andre Dawson
    Tom Glavine
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Vladimir Guerrero -- on the fence. he'd need to keep up production another few years
    Rickey Henderson
    Trevor Hoffman
    Shoeless Joe Jackson
    Derek Jeter
    Randy Johnson
    Barry Larkin
    Greg Maddux
    Pedro Martinez
    Mark McGwire
    Mike Piazza
    Tim Raines
    Manny Ramirez
    Jim Rice
    Mariano Rivera
    Alex Rodriguez
    Pudge Rodriguez
    Pete Rose
    Gary Sheffield
    John Smoltz
    Sammy Sosa
    Frank Thomas
    Jim Thome
    Alan Trammell

Additions not on list:
    Luis Tiant
    Lou Whitaker

Coulda-shoulda-woulda:
    Nomaaaaaaaaaaah
    Darryl Strawberry
    Doc Gooden
    Don Mattingly
    Dale Murphy

11. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Wow. Vizquel ''only'' won 11 Gold Gloves.

The Vizquel-Larkin comparison is that typical offense vs. defense debate. I usually favor the hitters because IMHO a great hitter/average fielder can impact a game more than an average hitter/great fielder. Having said that, great fielders deserve respect too. Whether or not more was expected offensively from SS during Vizquel's time is moot. Vizquel was the premier defensive SS (11 Gold Gloves) during his career. That he didn't make more All-Stars is because there were a lot better offensive SS in the AL during his time. Vizquel would have been a defensive marvel in any era.

I'm not sure what their teams winning a World Series has anything to do with Hall of Fame worthiness. Vizquell played in two World Series. His teams just happened to get beat.

If Ozzie played in the AL during Vizquel's time when there was Jeter, A-Rod and Nomar putting up great offensive numbers, he wouldn't have made as many All-Star Games either. That wouldn't have made him any less of a player. He still would have been a great player and a HOF'er in my book because of his defense, the same case I'm making for Omar. (Besides, Omar was always a great interview.;D)

12. Mizzougrad96

I would put Concepcion in over Ozzie Smith.

I know Ozzie is beloved, but he may be the most overrated player of my lifetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted