1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The single most historic modern stadium in the world"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. X, Jun 18, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're insane.

Orange Bowl > Lambeau Field?

That's fucking insane. Get a grip.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Wait until game 7 and we can start talking about the RBC Center.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You get a grip.

More great and important NFL games were played there than anywhere else.

Lambeau? Nice place when football was played in black and white. Only game of any significance played there since the Ice Bowl in 1967 was the Panthers-Packers in 1997.

Orange Bowl:

Super Bowl II
    Super Bowl III
    Super Bowl V
    Super Bowl X
    Super Bowl XIII
    Dolphins-Chargers 1/2/1982
    Dolphins-Bears 12/2/1985
    Plus, toss in 5 AFC Championship games just for the hell of it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And the Orange Bowl game kind of mattered every now and then.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've gotta say that despite Lambeau's history, it was really never anything more than the home of the Packers. A place that, a couple of times, played host to a big event.

The Orange Bowl was all about events.

Arguably the greatest NFL upset (Super Bowl III) and one of the greatest college football upsets (Miami 31, Nebraska 30) were played there.

Hail Flutie was played there. Many college football national championships were decided there.

That's in addition to all those events previously mentioned.

And there's also a sensory perception that the OB had for a TV viewer.

Even though the stadium is a rathole in an old neighborhood . . . the TV viewer freezing his butt off in Bismark, N.D., saw those palm trees swaying in the end zone. It just said, "This place/event is special."

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Just because of sheer size, what about Indianapolis Speedway? Does that qualify?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Don't forget the Bad News Bears broke training there. Let them play! Let them play! Let them play!

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

NFL: Lambeau.
    NBA: The late Boston Garden.
    NHL: The late Montreal Forum/Maple Leaf Gardens.
    MLB: Yankee Stadium/Fenway Park.
    CFB: Notre Dame Stadium/Orange Bowl.
    CBB: Cameron Indoor Arena.

9. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Honestly, how is this even a discussion?!!!

"The second most historic modern stadium in the world," I believe, would be a much more compelling discussion.

Which stadium is even close to Yankee Stadium? And what's a more historic snapshot than Yankee Stadium in an October night?

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Jesse Owens' big day was at what Woody Hayes called "that school up north." From the University of Michigan website:

Ferry Field has been the site of many great individual performances in Big Ten track championships, none more remarkable than Jesse Owens' efforts in 1935. Within a period of two hours, the Ohio State sophomore set world records in the 220 yard dash - :20.2, the broad jump - 26 ft. 8 1/4 in., the 220 yard low hurdles - :22.6 and tied the world record in the 100 yard dash - :09.4 seconds. A plaque at the southeast corner of Ferry Field commemorates Owens' incomparable performance.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

How much of the current Yankee Stadium predates the reconstruction of 1974-75? I've always been under the impression that the stadium was pretty much gutted and rebuilt during that time period.

Playing devil's advocate here, I suppose it could be argued that it's technically not the same stadium.

12. I've been posting a lot of Cubs stuff today, but I can't believe this thread is on its fourth page and nobody has mentioned Wrigley Field. I'm not saying that it has to be No.1 on the historic list, but it should at least be in the discussion and mentioned.

-- It's now the oldest ballpark in the NL.
    -- Wrigley's historic in the sense that it's situated in a neighborhood like a lot of the late lamented ballparks were.
    -- A lot of the new-breed stadiums model themselves after Wrigley Field - bricks on the wall behind home plate, ivy in some part of the ballpark, manual scoreboards.
    -- Not recently, of course, but it's hosted it's fair share of World Series including the one with Babe Ruth's supposed called shot.
    -- I'm not sure about the exact facts on this, maybe somebody with more knowledge of football history can help me here, but I think, until recently, it had hosted more NFL games than Soldier Field  or was the venue that had hosted the most NFL games overall. Again, not sure exactly what the deal was on that, but a lot of people do tend to forget that Wrigley hosted the Bears until the 70s.

Speaking of NFL stadiums, just a quick comment on the post that started this thread. If people are thinking of remodelling the LA Coliseum along the lines of Soldier Field, based on what I've seen on the outside of Soldier Field, that would be a BAD idea asthetically. In fact, Soldier Field just lost its designation as a National Historic Landmark or its listing on the National Registery of Historic Places or some such thing thanks to the botched remodelling job.  

Draft saved Draft deleted