1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The single most historic modern stadium in the world"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. X, Jun 18, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yankee Stadium, in the U.S. bracket. (thanks for mentioning Colts-Jints '58, M-Gee. I was thinking that, too.)
    Wembley, in the world bracket.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

And if all goes according to plan, in five years that Yankee Stadium will be a parking lot and a train station and there will be a new (non-historic) Yankee Stadium across the street.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If you want to talk about soccer specifically, you have to include Maracanha in Brazil. An original capacity of 200,000, and that's how many were there to see Uruguay beat Brazil in the 1950 World Cup final. Legend has it that after the game some Brazilian fans in the stadium commited suicide out of despair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estádio_do_Maracanã

[​IMG]

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Yankee Stadium
    Wembley Stadium

Gone but not forgotten: The Montreal Forum (RIP). I'd argue with this being "modern" because the Forum is no more, but plenty of history - 16 Stanley Cups and only one won by an opposing team under its roof (1989 Flames), as well as the funeral of Howie Morenz.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

MLB: Yankee Stadium (overall winner -- EOT).
    NFL: Lambeau Field.
    NBA: Boston Garden (existing arena - MSG)
    NHL: The Forum (existing arena -- NONE).

NCAA football: Ohio Stadium (bonus points for Jesse Owens' greatest one-day performance in track and field history).

NCAA hoops: Pauley Pavilion.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The existing MSG, has been home to 2 NBA Championships, 1 Stanley Cup winner, the 1st Ali Frazier fight and a bunch of inconsequential college basketball games and a few good Big East games in a time when Pat Ewing meant more than sulking underachiever.

The real collge basketball games played at the Garden was the Garden at 50th and 8th.

I grew up going to the garden. Saw the 73 Finals and many playoff games in the 69-70 finals. Saw Pistol Pete light the Knicks up in a playoff game. Saw Earl the Pearl's first game as a Knick. Dad didn;t think a kid was worthy of the finals so I missed the 69-70 Finals. Saw Led Zepplin & Aerosmith at MSG before they were cliches. Saw Ringling Bros. Circus there and a few ice shows, BUT

MSG is not the shit, except it's in New Yrok

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Ohio Stadium rather than the Rose Bowl?

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fuck LA ;D

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Owens' performance -- probably the greatest one-day athletic performance in the history of the human race -- puts it over the top. Football, the Horseshoe is on a par with Michigan Stadium, Notre Dame Stadium, the Coliseum, Legion Field, and a few others.

The RB is a solid No. 2. Nobody else even close.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe if they would have, I dunno, consistently done renovations and improvements to that dump over time we wouldnt even need to have this argument.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Wow, can you see that from space?

Draft saved Draft deleted