1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The single most historic modern stadium in the world"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. X, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

A cityside columnist in these parts recently wrote that the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is "the single most historic modern stadium in the world."

(It was part of a column criticizing the proposal to build a new stadium inside the Coliseum's walls, a la Chicago's Solider Field.)

My initial response is that that was a bit U.S.- and Southern California-centric.

Regarding stadiums outside the U.S., I'd like to nominate Berlin's Olympic Stadium as "the single most historic modern stadium in the world."  I think Jesse Owens' four gold medals there in the 1936 Summer Olympics were more historic than anything that happed at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in the 1932 or 1984 Summer Olympics.  July's World Cup final could be more historic than Super Bowls I and VII played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Another nominee in London's Wembly Stadium, thanks to it being the main venue for the 1948 Summer Olympics, the 1966 World Cup final, many FA Cup finals, other soccer competitions and several landmark concerts.

(I’m giving more points for events with global significance, rather than just U.S. significance.  After all, the columnist did make reference to the world in the column.)

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum's claims to fame in addition to the two Olympics include Super Bowl I (and Super Bowl VII), many noteworthy USC football games, the 1959 World Series, large crowds for appearances by Pope John Paul II and Billy Graham and John F. Kennedy's acceptance speech for the 1960 Democratic presidential nomination.

However, I think the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum may not even be "the single most historic modern stadium" in Southern California.  I would give the Rose Bowl that designation, thanks to the many Rose Bowl games, 1994 World Cup final, 1999 Women's World Cup final and five Super Bowls, one behind the Louisiana Superdome's record six.  I think the Rose Bowl has some worldwide cachet.

I'd like to nominate Yankee Stadium as "the single most historic modern stadium" in the United States, thanks to the many memorable World Series and football games played there, including the 1958 NFL Championship Game, dubbed "the greatest game ever played," along with several world heavyweight championship fights, most notably Joe Louis' first-round knockout of Max Schmeling, Masses celebrated by Popes Paul VI and John Paul II and Billy Graham appearances.

Discuss.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yankee Stadium, end of thread

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I must say I agree with abbott here. Until about 1960, Yankee Stadium was THE prime site for championship boxing, and of course, boxing was much bigger then.
    Also home to one of the five most historic college football games ever Army-Notre Dame 0-0 tie in 1946, and perhaps the most historic pro football game, the Colts beating the Giants in OT for the 1958 NFL championship.
    Oh, yeah, the Yankees play there, too.

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Can we define "modern?"

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Still in use?

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I think he meant since the Roman Colsseum.  I don't think there was much in terms of major stadium since that fell into ruins until around the 1920s with Yankee Stadium, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, Berlin's Olympic Stadium, Wembly Stadium and the Yale Bowl.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For all the wrong reasons . . . but historic nonetheless:

[​IMG]

8. Kennedy acccepted the nomination outdoors?
    I don't think so.

9. http://www.cs.umb.edu/~rwhealan/jfk/j071560.htm

Google before posting, idiot.
    You learn something every day,

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

BTExpress -- Where would you rank the Louisiana Superdome in comparison to some of the other stadiums discussed here?

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wow. I read this on the heels of F_B's last post, and thought "That seems unnecessarily harsh and somewhat out of character for F_B to call SoCalGuy an idiot for messing up one small fact."

Then I opened the link. Not so harsh after all. :)

12. Flash

Flash Guest

If the Canadiens hadn't abandoned the Forum ... where ghosts hovered in the mist.

Draft saved Draft deleted