1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Simpsons Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zimbabwe, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Well, Homer left the room before Maggie said "Daddy" in that episode. So, technically, it was the first word the family ever heard her say.

Saw the movie today and loved it. The show isn't as good as it was 10 years ago, but maybe this will give it a kick-start.

That being said, I still watch it every week and love it.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

No comments here on the Mitch Albom joke?

I thought it was funny, definitely, but I agree with Mizzou and the others. It hit a plateau and some of the bits became a bit far fetched and goofy. South Park's movie worked the whole way through, and it was a bit longer than this.

Still, I'd watch it again and again.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If by longer, you mean shorter, then yes.

Simpsons movie: 87 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462538/

South Park movie: 81 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158983/

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

The thing is, after the Grimy episode, there were tons of classic eps. From the opening of the next season, The City of New York Vs. Homer Simpson, to one of the uber-classics, Missionary Impossible, where Homer utters the famed Jebus lines.
    I must be one of the freaks that lives and dies by the Simpsons, because when I see John Swartzwelder's name in the credits, it was going to be a good episode. Even if he was just a consultant.
    I don't think I have ever been disappointed by an episode, and I have been watching this show since I was 7.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Just saw the movie. It was good, certainly prettier looking than an episode on a non-HDTV, but given its hype, not the revelation I was expecting. Still enjoyed myself, so I guess that's plenty good enough. Predicted the "show nothing BUT the twig and berries" sight gag.

Movie version of modern-era TV cartoons rankings:
    1. South Park
    2. Beavis and Butt-head (maybe because I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, plus I liked RHCP's Love Rollercoaster cover)
    3. Simpsons
    4. Daria's two movies
    5. Family Guy

Haven't seen ATHF, but I'll rent it soon. Suspect it'll be towards the bottom of the list, just because I can't imagine they could sustain the humor that works in a 10-minute episode over 80-90 minutes (think Three Stooges movies). I expect December's direct-to-DVD (and eventually Comedy Central) Futurama movie to be at least as good as the Simpsons movie, but my adoration for Futurama is such that it could wind up being a big disappointment for me, given how shitty Family Guy got after its hiatus.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There were two 'Daria' movies?

Saw this movie last night, and I liked it. Nothing great, nothing horrible. I mean, the characters are 20 years old, what did you really expect?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Daria: Is It Fall Yet? which came out around the middle of the show's run, and Daria: Is It College Yet? which was the show's finale. I wouldn't pay to watch either, but as extended episodes go, they were pretty good.

And I guess it comes with only having an 82-minute movie, but a lot of pretty prominent secondary and fringe characters got little or nothing. Burns should have been more featured, since it was established that he was still in control of the electricity. Milhouse disappeared for an hour, and no Skinner outside what amounted to a walk-on in the first minute? At least the Spiderpig thing did get paid off when he, for whatever reason, tried to kill the Simpsons.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It's for that first reason that I came to be disappointed with the movie (saw it this afternoon for the first time). Too much slapstick, not enough subtlety.

That's part of the reason I'm less enamored with South Park these days. Back when, you'd watch an episode, get a kick out of the hijinxs, then Stan or Kyle would come on and say, "You know what? I learned something today..." And then I'd think, well son of a bitch, that was pretty clever. Not all the time, but enough to keep me coming back.

Too often now, it feels like you're being beaten about the head with a thinly-disguised topic. I think back to the ep where people came back in time; who couldn't tell within the first three minutes they were talking about immigrants?

And that's what the movie felt like to me. After you got the gist of it, there was no real incentive to look around for some kind of hidden joke. Ninety-five percent of the jokes they made were going to be in plain sight. Some of them were funny, certainly, but the sly humor has always been what's made the series for me.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You, sir, are stupid! :D

I find the newer Family Guys far funnier than the old ones. I mean, to me, it's not even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted