1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Simpsons lied to me! They lied to all of us!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Aug 29, 2010.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

So I was house-sitting for a co-worker last week, and I noticed that his toilets all flush clockwise. I had brief thoughts of making a collect call to some unsuspecting Aussie to check his toilets, but did some research on the Internets instead.

And what did I learn? That Lisa Simpson's explanation of water flow being caused by gravity/Coriolis Effect -- and the entire premise of what I used to think was one of the show's stronger episodes -- was a lie.

Apparently, water flow out of a toilet bowl is determined by the design of the fixture, and has nothing to do with what hemisphere you happen to live in.

Probably the saddest part is that I should've known this, but I didn't. But when we can't trust the Simpsons, where does that leave us as a society?

That said, I have to say, I didn't care for the clockwise flush. For some reason, I found it off-putting.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's funny that you mention this, because on Friday night I hung out with a friend who just returned from Australia, and she said the water gets sucked straight down, and that nobody in Australia cares about the way the water goes down the drains in America.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Not only did the Simpsons lie, so did my middle school's librarian. Why she'd be talking about that, I don't know, but as middle-schoolers we thought her talking about toilets, drains, etc., was hilarious.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you put a mirror face down in a copy machine, you travel back in time.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The Prime Minister DOESN'T lie naked in an innertube drinking a Foster's?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Prime Minister lays naked in an innertube drinking a Foster's

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well he actually does neither. Nobody in Australia drinks Fosters.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

But you haven't adressed his truthfulness.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Next you'll tell me that wasn't a giant wig shop I passed in Knoxville yesterday.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

That's because it's brewed in Canada.

Says so on the can.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This just in:
    Despite numerous reports to the contrary, Ralph Wiggum did not eat a big, red candle.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does that mean Stampy wasn't real either?

Draft saved Draft deleted