1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sick joke on America that is Thursday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 2, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah but look how much each of those networks are paying for whatever program is in that time slot. It sure isn't $35 million for one night.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Last night's game also went up against a pair of playoff baseball games and an excellent college football upset.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

On paper, the idea is good, because all the games are divisional rivalries (w/ the exception of Cowboys-Bears and the Saturday night Chargers/Niners game). The problem they will run into is that you can't do Flex Scheduling for TNF like you can for Sunday Night games, or at least I don't think you can.

FWIW, you can see the remaining Thursday NF schedule here. It also includes two "Thursday" night games which will, of course, be played on a Saturday b/c it's the final week of TNF. : http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2014/TNF

Chargers/Broncos, Saints/Panthers, Cowboys/Bears, Chargers/Niners (SAT) look like quality games. Colts/Texans is potentially intriguing depending how well Fitz is playing that day. The remaining games look like they will either be lopsided or downright uninteresting. I mean when the games are primarily divisional, you're gonna have some games where the top dog plays the last place, and it's not like you can flex a Sunday afternoon game into a Thursday night spot.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That game was so bad that I would have turned off even if Jim Nance promised naked
    photos of Sam Ponder in the 4th qtr

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Liar

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I love how the schools say they're concerned about the student-athlete when they make them miss two to three days of classes to play a Thursday night game.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure, but it sure affects the office football pool. You only have three days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday by 5 p.m.) to come up with $5 and turn in your picks!

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Most college football players don't take Friday classes and try to avoid Thursday classes in the fall.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, especially by the time they are seniors, most guys are taking an online class or two in the fall and that's about it.

I find it comical when schools and/or journalists make a big deal out of a guy graduating in 3 1/2 years or whatever. If you're taking classes both summer terms (including those prior to the start of your freshman year) and during spring and winter intersession in addition to the fall and spring, you've got to be a real blockhead to NOT graduate early.

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

This was a really good topic to bring up, especially since we keep hearing the recent talk about "player safety." Did the NFL ever bother to consider that giving players just a few days to recover after playing a Sunday game isn't exactly giving players enough time to recover from minor injuries? Or whether or not playing two games too close to each other might not be good for a player's health?

I'm already betting on the bulk of these games being pretty bad for one reason or another... and that includes the matchups that might look good on paper. A game doesn't have to be a blowout to be bad... a 20-17 game in which both teams play sloppy ball when there's no inclement weather is what I would call a pretty bad outing.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly it's not like HS. You could easily take a minimum course
    load of say 14-16 credits and not have Friday classes. Normal
    students do this.

It's a bigger issue for basketball players.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Give the Frappening some time.

Draft saved Draft deleted