1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sick joke on America that is Thursday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 2, 2014.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Thursday night football has been going on for so long now that I think the stigma of it being "small time" is gone. Recently we've had ACC, Pac-12, Big 10 (Wisconsin) and Big 12 teams play rather frequently on Thursdays. I think the stigma still remains for Friday night games though.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Florida State was playing on Thursdays a decade ago.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And you call yourself a Texan.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At least in the Pac-12, the schedule is set by the conference. Oregon and Arizona didn't decide to play last night. The Pac-12 decided Oregon and Arizona would play last night. And that decision is heavily influenced (some might say dictated) by the broadcasting network. Schools hate the new scheduling, but the money is too good.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The NFL played a few Friday night games late in seasons in the '80s- and it was a cool thing.
    The league has never been much good at showing restraint.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty much exactly it. I read a story somewhere not long ago about a guy at ESPN who manipulates the schedules for television. The most powerful name in college football that no one would recognize.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the SEC allows schools to decline a Thursday night home game, which is why schools like Alabama, Georgia, Florida and LSU never play at home on Thursday unless it's the season-opener or a holiday weekend.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Alabama hosted Georgia State on Nov. 15, 2010, as its most recent Thursday game.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I usually leave work in California around 6:30 p.m., and the Thursday games have already been routs by then, giving me no reason to turn on the game when I arrive home, or even listen in the car.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Just a slight difference between that and playing another SEC team.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And playing Georgia State might as well be a holiday weekend.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The communists have won.

Draft saved Draft deleted