1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sick joke on America that is Thursday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Give teams Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday off. Start game-planning/work week on Friday as normal through Thursday game. Off Friday-Saturday-Sunday. More money toward salary cap because you can get an extra week of money from the networks since they get extra programming. Not a big fan of the Thursday games, but they're not going anywhere. So at least make them better without having teams coming back four days after a game.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In fairness thread title should read "NFL Thursday Night Football" because
    the college game has for the most part been great for Thursday's.

As example last night Arizona knocking off #2 Oregon.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Call me old-fashioned, but I miss the days when Thursday nights were all about red, hot MACtion.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I believe that's Tuesday now.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I know, C-USAction is a poor substitute. Sorry, Houston, I need my CMU fix.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As an aside, I happened upon a CUSA game (Florida International at Alabama-Birmingham) on my cable system on channel 380, which houses a very low-power Chicago station that is an affiliate of a network called Soul of the South.

http://www.ssn.tv/

It was glorious. It was low-grade standard definition, with "ads" that mostly were PSAs and Michelle Beadle talking about C-USA. I felt like I was in my neighbor friend's basement in 1979.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That actually was a pretty good game. UAB should have won, but nobody can go 0-6 in turnovers and win a game. That FIU defense is for real. Destroyed FAU last night, with a 100 yard fumble return and an interception in the end zone.

Fun to watch.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember the infamous Virginia-Florida State game from almost 20 years ago.

I covered an AD who staunchly refused to play on Thursday nights because he said no team playing during the middle of the week is focused on the game.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I miss when they were about Cheers and Night Court.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And on a lot of campuses, it makes for a parking nightmare with fans arriving in town while students are still in class.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised when I see a program like Oregon playing on a Thursday night. I figured it would be mostly schools who need exposure, but maybe ESPN is so powerful these days that it can make anyone play during the week if it sees a game that it wants.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

LongTimeListener, that was a cogent, well-argued Hot Sports Take. Good work.

Draft saved Draft deleted