1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sick joke on America that is Thursday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"It wasn't about football; it was an economic decision."

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's fine. They can find a way to pay for their golden calf without public monies.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not counting the first week's Thursday game (but it was basically the same) four teams showed up and four teams didn't.

For the thesis of this thread to be true, all eight teams would have had to perform like shit. Or at least 6-7.

Minnesota is better on paper than it played tonight? Not with AP gone and down to their third quarterback. We know the Redskins are horrible, especially with RGIII out. We know Tampa Bay is horrible, and Tampa Bay beat Pittsburgh on the road, so what does that say about Pittsburgh?

It's entirely possible and maybe even probable that these games would have been very much the same had they been played on Sunday instead of Thursday.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Heck, that right there could be the impetus for the next Civil War.

Or, they could compromise and change the sport to MaddenBall with robots. Remember the Hugh Jackman movie "Real Steel," where boxing matches consisted of humans controlling machine to beat the nuts and bolts out of each other? Same concept, different sport.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nah. Go the other way. Nobody needs NFL games on Thursday.
    But the NFL wants you to think you do.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I know that there is a law that prohibits the NFL from showing games on a broadcast network between September and the beginning of December from Friday night through Saturday night. Does the same law apply to cable broadcasts also? I know the law was passed as part of the merger before cable networks existed. I think Saturday night football makes a lot more sense.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Teams would still be holding practices during their bye weeks, so essentially, the players would all have to work another week without getting paid any more. At the very least, this would have to be negotiated with the union.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do teams really hold practices during the bye weeks? I've been under the impression that maybe they just watch the film of the game they just played, maybe some upcoming opponent game film, and then they get the rest of the week off.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anybody who cares about good ole Hooterville High is going to go to the high school games anyway.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A law?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If the South had "succeeded" rather than "seceded," we wouldn't need another Civil War.

I'll show myself out ...

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well said. I watched about five minutes last night but just happened catch the Lambeau Leap history, so that made it worthwhile. And heard Phil Simms' say "the football," which in a drinking game will leave you comatose.

Draft saved Draft deleted