1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SI Tablet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can't believe this wasn't mentioned somewhere here....probably was and I missed it, but anyway:

The demo for the in-the-works Sports Illustrated Tablet....looks like a Kindle, completely interactive with color and touch screen and video...each issue automatically downloads. Pretty cool.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wait! Why would I buy this? Why would anyone buy this?

My computer is 10x more powerful than the last one I bought. A third of the weight, and I can get internet anywhere with wi-fi. Where I can't take my computer, I have my blackberry, others have Iphones and PDA'S and netbooks and I guess what I am getting at is WHO NEEDS A Kindle/Tablet thingy?

Seriously. I don't want to hear this crap about how students can get a Kindle instead of lugging books around. Figure out a way to put the book on the computer. Shit, I bet they already have that.

Alright, rant over.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

They already do put books on the iPod and other small devices, but the problem is the form factor is too small.

As for a laptop, it can be big and clunky, needs a keyboard, etc. But you're right - throw a touchscreen at it and it does the job for accessing content in this manner.

All a tablet is looking to do is fill a niche. And SI wants to be ready for it. Good for them, but my bet is this video is completely conceptual. I'd be shocked if a third of the features depicted in it ever came to fruition.

4. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I'll stick to the magazine itself. Feels weird taking electronics into the can with me...

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah laptops can be clunky, but anyone who can afford a kindle can afford a non-clunk laptop. Battery power is a lot better these days too.

I agree, filling a niche. Unfortunately, that niche would have been better filled five years ago. It's too late for the kindle.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

For me, tha's the most satisfying part of my sex life.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

An all-purpose magazine downloader would be useful for the frequent traveler/commuter. Not sure how universal it would become.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Couldn't you download them on to a netbook or laptop?

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I think this could work but likely won't because there are too many competing platforms. It better be universal or it's DOA.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ultimately they'll be giving them away with a subscription.

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Too expensive.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Saw this the other day. Looks pretty cool and neat. I figured ESPN would jump on this before SI ever could.

Good for SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted