1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The shortest distance between Point A and Point B

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MertWindu, Mar 28, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

OK, so, my friend has to go to a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, and she's offered to take me to the bus station in the same city so I can catch a ride to where my newly-fixed car is currently sitting (about 100 miles away.)

The bus station is on Main Street. The doctor's office is on Main Street. The same Main Street. And yet, somehow, both mapquest and google maps think that the best way to get from the Bus station to the doctor's office is to get OFF of Main street, take a left and a right, get onto the nearby interstate, go to the next exit, get off the interstate, and get back on Main Street. For the record, there are exactly two miles between the bus station and the doctor's office. On a clear day, you can probably see one from the other.

Hilarious.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not sure if mapquest or google maps does this, but I always thought it'd be a good idea to score streets not just by distance but by speed limit or avg speed traveled. So if you're on a street with lots of lights vs. a longer distance with less traffic/stoplights it'd be preferable. Probably not what they're doing in your case, but first thing that came to my mind (while waiting for my boys to finish up some agate).

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I'm sure there's a logic to it, getting back on the highway. It's just ridiculous, and I have no doubt she'll end up getting lost if she tries to pull mapquest's version off.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We had to take my step daughter to an SAT session at a junior college one state over ... a hour's drive, but to a spot I wasn't familiar with. We left with plenty of time ... which was good, because Mapquest left us about two miles away from our actual destination. Grrrr.

5. amraeder

Anyone have a preference on what they use, google maps vs. mapquest. I figure google pretty much knows more about me than I do, so I'm partial to them. Don't know if there's a difference, though.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

google maps has the upper hand in terms of giving the satellite picture so you can get an idea of what the destination looks like, how far back it is from the road, etc. But mapquest is a better print, I've found, and the estimated times on google maps are usually a half hour off at best.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Communist.

8. amraeder

In Communist Russia, Yahoo Maps you.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Quality Yakov.

10. I use a map.
    MapQuest is run by marmosets.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And by this "map" you mean ...?

12. That's a good one, too. Google Maps is the best ...

Draft saved Draft deleted