1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The shocking adventures of Chef's Coed Softball Team......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

No shame in wearing batting gloves. Especially for those of us whose delicate hands rarely threaten to blister anywhere but the tips of our typing fingers, batting can mess you up.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When you say secret, does that mean you just won't tell anyone who you are or will you just say you went and not actually go?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm the same way. I played a mean first base in baseball, but no way I'm playing that close -- and without a cup :eek: -- when the hitters are just waiting to smack the damn ball. Same goes for pitching. It's just a recipe for disaster.

I'll play outfield all day long, though. Judging fly balls was always easy for me. Catching up with them ... that was my weakness.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

There is when you're in the field.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You're too kind.

I'm actually thinking about making a secret Seattle SJ cameo.
    [/quote]

When you say secret, does that mean you just won't tell anyone who you are or will you just say you went and not actually go?
    [/quote]

I'm thinking of going and not saying a word, just drinking.

And then as I leave, I'll pull a Brando Oscar stunt and tell everyone that westcoastvol sent me in his place to draw attention to the plight of sports journalists everywhere. Either that, or I'll RickRoll the room.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I will agree that playing pitcher in softball puts you in some potentially dangerous situations. But outside of a few hard shots if you're playing third, the infield's not that bad. I must have heard, "Stay in front of the ball" a thousand times from my dad when I was a kid, and I listened so well I got used to getting hit -- a lot. As long as I don't get hit in the temple, I chalk it up as a character builder.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

[/quote]

I'm thinking of going and not saying a word, just drinking.

And then as I leave, I'll pull a Brando Oscar stunt and tell everyone that westcoastvol sent me in his place to draw attention to the plight of sports journalists everywhere. Either that, or I'll RickRoll the room.

[/quote]

I don't know what a RickRoll is, but as long as it doesn't involve me dying you should do it.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've seen too many dudes get hit in the mouth and have blood pour everywhere to agree with this sentiment. Or get hit in the balls.
    Maybe you are better than they were, but I still have no desire to play infield - even though my build is perfect for a first baseman.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not me. I love playing the corners in softball. I played first base all through my career and third base with my old softball team. Line drives, hard grounders down the line, high choppers ... it didn't matter. I trust my reactions. Sometimes the ball was hit real hard and bounced off the side of the glove, but those are the breaks.

I hate the outfield. I haven't played out there since I was 12.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

See, I love tracking down a long fly ball or trying to throw someone out who dares tag on me. Or catching a ball off a hop and throwing a guy out at third, who tried to get the extra base.
    I'm way too scared to play infield. I didn't play baseball past the second grade, so softball is all I've got.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Angola, I'll take that shot to the face (the other one not so much) any day before I sidestep a grounder. I lost a lot of blood (and a tooth or two) as a kid. Badges of honor.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome avatar, West Coast.

I bow in your general direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted