1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The shocking adventures of Chef's Coed Softball Team......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's not funny ... it just makes him the biggest joke.

I've worn batting gloves, but sneakers work just fine. I don't need cleats catching in anything, anyway. That would probably finish off my knees.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That does it.

I'm sliding with my spikes up next time we play.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

A few thoughts:

Chef wasthisclose to being the Tom Dempsey of coed softball (cross-threading, I know).

Mike is on a softball team? Mike gets out of the house?!?

My crazy softball moment was when I was watching a game wrap up, waiting for mine to start. I was hanging out with a friend in the bleachers. This guy comes up to bat, drives a ball slow and deep to right center.

Suddenly, two gunshots ring out from off the first base line. Some jackass shot the softball out of the sky, like a skeet shoot. Then he yelled to the batter, "if I hear about you fuckin' my wife again, next time, that'll be you, motherfucker!" He then hopped in his truck and sped off.

A few minutes later, the guy then hit a lazy single, then was pulled for a pinch runner. His wife was in the stands, too. I'm sure that was an interesting post-game chat.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I always wear batting gloves. When I used to play first base during baseball, a small tendon -- I think -- in my middle finger swelled up, and whenever it's hit, the pain comes back. So I've always got my glove-hand batting glove on when I'm in the field. And if I've got it with my, the left-hand glove goes on when I bat. I'm an All-Star.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

OK ... but you're gonna eat my shoulder and swallow your own chicklets.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

One time I threw a bat because I got called out on strikes and it went through the chain-link fence and nearly hit someone. I was promptly ejected. It was strange.

I will admit that I don't like to play infield in softball. The balls are hit really hard and the fields tend to be shitty, which means lots of sketchy hops that could hit you in your face.
    In the outfield, though, it is on. If you are old or slow, I will try to throw you out at first base. Don't give me a bad look, just because you are slow as shit.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Cabin fever's a bitch.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Mike in the on-deck circle:

[​IMG]

9. Flash

Flash Guest

You win.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm thinking ANYTHING with WestCoastVol would be interesting.

Go for a drink with him, there's a chance he could see Paul McCartney and tell him about the time he fucked to "No More Lonely Nights." Join his softball team, end up in The War Of The Roses.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I once committed three errors in a half-inning, punted my glove three-quarters of the way in from right field, flipped off the entire opposing team and their fans, and STILL didn't get thrown out of the game.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You're too kind.

I'm actually thinking about making a secret Seattle SJ cameo.

Draft saved Draft deleted