1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 14, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Cowboys were 1 year removed from back to back Super Bowl titles when Barry took over. They won in fist year and that was it.

The Yankees were 8 years removed from a World Series title when Girardi took over. He won one title so far. Let's see how he does going forward before we compare him to Barry.

2. YankeeFan

How many World Series titles did they win in Joe Torre's final seven years?

And look, I'm obviously a Yankees fan, but I'm not a sycophant and am not a huge fan of Joe Girardi as a manager.

He drives me nuts on occasion, but if you watch any manager on a day to day basis, they'll do the same.

I just don't think he's a terrible manager or a terrible person.

I was less than nobody to Joe Girardi each time I met him. He was always pleasant to me. I have no idea why he didn't treat you the way you think he should have, but I doubt it was because you weren't important enough to him.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

How many times did the Yankees miss the playoffs under Joe Torre? It'll be twice this year under Joe Girardi. Twice more than the Yankees missed under Torre.

I don't ask for much from people. Common decency is about it. Don't want to talk? A polite "No thanks" won't give anyone butthurt. Joe Girardi lacks that common decency, with me and many MANY others. But yay, he was nice to you, so that trumps all.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

YankeeFan,

For a Yankee fan, I am a little surprised you're not more aware of Girardi's reputation.

This reminds me a little of how Braves GM Frank Wren treated Tom Glavine at The End. The fans were upset at the time, but everybody has short memories. Glavine was made a special assistant to the team, and all's forgiven.

Bottomline Prediction: Posada will be in the YES broadcast booth within 18 months.

5. YankeeFan

To be fair, the Devil Rays were a basket case during Torre's years. The Rays are an actual title contender now, so the playoffs aren't guaranteed like they practically were in years past.

And, I could turn your statement around on you.

Joe Girardi was nice to many MANY people through the years, but he was mean to you, so that trumps all.

Do you not see how irrational you come across?

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

The fact that we heard about this at all speaks volumes about Girardi, and none of it well.

If this happened in Boston, or St. Louis, or, hell, Minnesota, I doubt we'd have ever heard a peep.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

How is it irrational when I've provided plenty of supporting evidence to my case?

The next person to tell me I'm wrong on this thread will be the first.

Do you not see how irrational you come across?

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Joe Mauer is on a work stoppage.

9. YankeeFan

What's the evidence?

The article you linked to said he needs to be less stressed and communicate better.

Wow! He must be a terrible person.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To be fair, I've had a number of dealings with Girardi and found him to be a first class guy.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Sub in Nick Punto then! Wait...

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did you not read the links?

YANKEEfan translation: "My ass is painted into a corner here and I've got nothing."

You would be wise to admit defeat and move on and pretend this never happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted