1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 14, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is the franchise which told George Herman Ruth to take a hike and let him go play for the 1930s equivalent of today's Pittsburgh Pirates.

As it should have. If you can't hit anymore, you can't hit anymore. What Posada did in the past for the Yankees was great and good for him. But that was then and this is now.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Whether we realize it, or not, past status and accomplishments do, indeed, matter.

For example, there's an old, now-retired, pilot from my unit. He's been retired for years, but still carries as big a stick in this division as any commander -- past or present, regardless of rank. This man carries as much weight in the 101st Airborne Division than David Patreaus. Retired CW5 Jayrock is a legend who still sits at the head table at our formal events. You do not speak ill of Mr. Jayrock. if you do, you risk your career. It's that simple.

Does Posada carry that kind of weight? Maybe. Maybe not. But you treat him differently than other players. Period.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not buddies with Girardi, but I've met him a number of times over a number of years. I've never found him to be anything but gracious.

If I'm choosing between Jeffrey Loria & Joe Girardi, Girardi is winning easily.

Joe Girardi is well thought if by Don Zimmer and by David Cone. When Darryl Kile died, it was Girardi who was chosen to address the crowd. There's the incident that Boom mentioned and many more.

But, because one bitter, anonymous writer with an inferiority complex doesn't think a platoon catcher on a team full of superstars kissed his ass with the same vigor that he did the beat writers, I'm supposed to believe he's a bad guy.

You give no examples. We're just supposed to take your word for it.

As far as being prepared to be the manager of the Yankees goes, I'm not sure what to say. He had played & coached in New York. He had managed in the big leagues and won a manager of the year award.

What is your criteria for a potential manger of the Yankees? Who would have been more "prepared"?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The managing in the 2009 ALCS is the worst championship-level managing I've ever seen.

Go back and watch that series and ask if Girardi was "prepared."

It's a miracle they won that series. Maybe because his adversary was a bigger meathead even than he.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about the time I went up to him hours before the game and began to introduce myself, only to have Girardi bark "NOT NOW I'M BUSY!" and dash away? Fine, no big deal, I'm not an attractive man, maybe I caught him on a bad day. Except every time I went up to him was a bad day for Joe, and for everyone else w/o a BBWAA (that's Baseball Writers Association of America--I'm not sure if you know that, since you're not in the industry yet feel compelled to question my credentials and abilities). I heard stories from people from the Yankees' own in-house publications and websites about how Girardi was rude and dismissive and refused to talk to them. But if one of the newspaper guys came up--oh boy, was Joe generous with his time then.

As for his current flaws, maybe you'll take Joel Sherman's word for it?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankees_need_uptight_skipper_yzBsR9WM0Pnw3qARSNbEUO

And you're a big shot. You know tons of famous people. I'm sure you know a Yankees beat writer or three. Ask them "How is it dealing with Joe Girardi?" Report back.

I don't know who would have been a better manager than Joe Girardi. Except just about everyone. I like Brian Cashman and think he does a very good job, but he made a big mistake in entrusting the transition-era Yankees to a former teammate of the Core Four. He was just begging for awkward moments, especially when at least one of those guys (Posada) outright hated Girardi when they were teammates. Go ahead, ask your friends about that too.

And Cashman had to know that people skills are as important or moreso than any in-game ability, and that Girardi lacked those skills and didn't have the requisite humility to develop those skills. He had trouble with the media in FLORIDA for God's sake. Howard Bryant wrote about it, as well as the numerous times Girardi lied to the media in NY. I'm sure he's bitter and has an inferiority complex too:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview09/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4037320

As for the Kile thing? Big deal. I'm pretty sure Girardi was the oldest player on the Cubs and thus entrusted with delivering the bad news. Big deal.

But I'm sure you'll come up with some reason why this evidence is incorrect and irrelevant and how I'm wrong and bitter and vindictive, because Joe Girardi was nice to you at some public event or b/c you didn't have a press credential around your neck. Bully for you.

I don't go to coffeeguys.com and insult you and what you do and your experience. I used to think and expect better of you.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bobby V would have been perfect if for nothing else his people skills and ability to get along with the media.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Bitter and vindictive you may be. Wrong you are not.

[​IMG]

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

[​IMG]

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jesus. I didn't think it was out of order to call the guy who calls himself "Bitter Young Hack" and complains that the big time writers got treated well, bitter or to point out that you're exhibiting clear signs of an inferiority complex.

Maybe he wasn't great to you. But you sound like the guy at the 20 year reunion still bitching about some slight from high school that no one else even remembers.

I don't expect everybody to like the guy. But, I think Joe's reputation is intact despite your criticisms.

The Girardi/Posada dynamic was always going to be a tough one. But, one guy having an issue with him isn't enough of a reason to not hire him.

Girardi's World Series ring justifies the decision.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Girardi:Yankees::Switzer:Cowboys

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One thing not mentioned here. Clearly a few of the pitchers had a problem with Posada. To me that was a biggest issue discussed over the winter.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes, YANKEEfan. We'll see how that one World Series ring Girardi stumbled into--with a fantasy baseball roster come to life--looks as justification two, three messy years down the road.

Cute too the faux indignity at actually getting a response when you go hunting for one. I guess that's what happens when the response you get crushes your fanboi delusions of your favorite team's manager.

Draft saved Draft deleted