1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 14, 2011.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Girardi bashing is way over the top. He's a better game manager than Torre - light years better at handling a pitching staff. The comparison to Brenly is crazy. Brenly was a bad manager - he made it less likely that his team would win. Girardi, like almost everyone else has his good and bad days.

After seeing the Yankees long enough, this is almost certain to end with Posada being DLed for the "back" and Montero or Vaszquez up by tomorrow, unless Posada is willing to do a full mea culpa tonight.

2. Showing that he survived the Sarah Silverman Experience, Buck did make a good point in the bottom of the eighth when he said this "is no longer an old man's game." Ironic that he mentioned how much the ban of greenies have played a major role in players unable to recover quickly.

Montero should be up now. It's time to find out if he's indeed Frank Thomas, Version 2.0 or if Jesus Montero is Spanish for "Kevin Maas."

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Evaluating Torre as a game manager depends on whether we're talking about the Zimmer (Torre's brains) Era, or the post-Zimmer bench-coach era.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

BYH is incapable of rational criticism.

Like any manager, Girardi (and/or Scioscia) will provide plenty of opportunities for criticism and second guessing. But the criticism by some is so far over the top that it's meaningless.

The criticism of him as a person is silly too. Girardi is a good guy. He's smart and hard working. He's been well thought of at every stop of his career.

To constantly call him a prick is ridiculous.

5. What he said.....

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

clueless joe girardi, he of the no people skills PLUS infuriating over-management skills, effed this up. big time.

the day you're planning to bat jorge ninth in the lineup, you call him into your office first and explain that's your intention. in deference to his stature -- because the best managers/coaches DO NOT treat all their players the same -- you give him time to digest it. in fact, you tell him flat-out, 'listen, georgie, i understand completely what you're going through. making this transition to d.h. is way more difficult than people think, especially for a guy who's spent his career playing the position that keeps you MOST involved in the game. you know i believe your hitting will come around, but until it does, i've gotta bat you ninth 'cause the rest of your overpaid teammates aren't helping us manufacture the run we're used to, either. as soon you you start hitting you know i'll have you back in your usual sixth spot.'

and then this: 'i appreciate how much this must sting you. if you need a day to digest it, no problem, sit this one out and be ready to go tomorrow. 'cause we know if i post this lineup and THEN decide you need the day, all hell will break loose. we'll all be answering those stupid questions those s.o.b. will hit us with. and god only know what cashman will say -- that guy's headed out the door after this year and doesn't help us spin anything any more...'

boom! no muss or fuss. instead, it was ALL muss and fuss for a NATIONAL telecast against the red sox! heck, that alone should've dictated girardi handle it in the most deft manner possible.

but 'clueless joe' is deftless. what a clown... if some of you disagree with my opinion of girardi as a game manager, fine, we can save that for the barroom.

his handling of the team? inarguably rotten, imho.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, i wouldn't go so far as to call him a 'prick.' or question the guy's work ethic. i certainly don't believe he mishandles people out of malice -- simply out of being devoid of the 'people skills' the best managers possess.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Deftless, the perfect word to describe it. He's tone-deaf, too.

Girardi's tactics are more fitting of a Parcells or Belichick. You can't do that in baseball, with a much longer season.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is on Posada. He's stubborn as an ox. In his mind, he's still an every day catcher, when in reality he's a charity case at this point.

Girardi has handled him with kid gloves. He's said and done everything Shockey suggests.

He told him just the other day that he was going to stick with him.

And, before the game, Posada said all the right things. He said it was his own fault that he had been dropped to 9th.

Then something changed. Maybe he just stewed and got upset, maybe someone got in his ear and ginned him up.

Next thing you know, he's mad at Girardi & Cashman. He's feeling "disrespected". And he's telling conflicting stories. (A bad back?)

His freaking wife is tweeting on his behalf and he claims to not understand why Cashman explained to the media why he was out of the lineup -- despite Cashman explaining to both he and his agent that he would be doing just that.

Posada's meant a lot to this team for years. Fans appreciate him and want to see him do well. But, to pull the "disrespected" card out when you're not hitting the ball at all is bullshit.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

perhaps has used 'the kid gloves' when dealing with the 'core four (now 3),' who were his teammates, for the most part. but on the day you're finally batting the slumping posada 9th, it's not using 'kid gloves' to have jorge get the news from the lineup card posted in the clubhouse. i'm not claim girardi was being malicious or intentionally hurtful; that's his biggest problem' people skills-wise' -- he simply doesn't or can't grasp when the 'kid gloves' are most required.'

and comparing girardi's m.o. to parcells of belichick is ridonculous -- parcells was one of the most ingenious masters of 'button-pushing people skills' i've ever been around. and belichick is nothing short of a football genius as a tactician and also possesses very under-appreciated people skills.

11. btm

btm Member

At least this will merit 30 minutes of analysis on ESPN.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There you go.

Much yelling about this on Monday, there will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted