1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Shield

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JNEWFIFTY, Sep 2, 2008.

?

Who is most likely to die when we're all said and done?

1. Vic

13.6%
  2. Shane

59.1%
  3. Ronnie

9.1%
  4. Aceveda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

18.2%
  1. finally watched last episode on dvr last night, really good. Working hard towards an amazing end to the series. Favorite moment was when Shane walked out of the room thinking Vic finally came around to his plight about killing Lem, only to have Vic look at Ronnie and blow what he said off. Lots of intrigue about where this may be going. I really didn;t like last season, even with the great storylines, but this season is off to a running start.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Solid episode tonight.
    Now we know there is something more to Agent Murray than meets the eye.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The tension mounts with every episode.

I'm not a TV-history buff, or even knowledgeable about the history of the medium. But this must rank up there with the greatest season-long crescendos in TV history.

Each episode leaves me wanting more, gripping my fists tighter, smoking one more cig than the week before, leaning closer and closer to the TV every segment, and turning up the volume a few more bars as the minutes pass.

"Hello. My name is Highway. I'm addicted to 'The Shield.'
    "I'm glad to be here."

4. :) :) :)

This has been one very solid series, pretty much from beginning to end, save about one season. I think for a while there, they got too heavy into confusing subplots, like the mental plot with Dutch where he was popping dolls heads off (WTF?). They have seemingly gotten it back on track, though, and I really do think this is the time to pull the plug an it. Let it go out at the top of it's game. I still see a lot of deaths, including Vic's.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Very good episode this week. Seems like everyone's playing everyone now. Great ending to this one when Murray said she was in so deep she didn't know who to turn to. I was thinking, "Vic Mackey has one weakness .." and he goes, "I'm your man."

I wonder how he can keep all his lies straight. I don't think he's told any two people the same thing this season.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"Let's have a key side plot where the chief has Lupus!" It sounds like a punchline -- can't believe they're wasting time on that shit in the final season. That and how we're supposed to care that Vic's moose of a daughter went to a party.

Jeebus, can we just get back to what made the show great? Both of those plotlines seem like exactly what The Shield would have originally vowed to never do.

7. EStreetJoe

Wimms isn't the chief (Lieutenant or Captain,but not chief) and the Lupus subplot is interesting. Let's see how far straight-shooter Wimms, who hates how deceitful Mackey is, goes to deceive the rest of the department on her health problems. She is slowly becoming someone she has always fought against and you could tell it was eating her up at times. One of the things that made The Shield great is character development and this is an evolution of Wimms' character.

Regarding Vic's daughter -- Mackey has always been a family guy. Although he's a ruthless SOB on the streets with a badge, the thing that makes him likeable is how committed he is as a father, doing whatever it takes to protect his family. So giving him a rebellious teenage daughter as another source of conflict seems right for the show to see how he deals with conflict on the homefront while fighting the war of his life on the streets.

The subplot that's starting to wear a little thin is Dutch's obsession with the teenage killer. Might have been good for one or two episodes, but its starting to drag out.

Finally got to see Tuesday's episode this morning and it was great. Won't comment on the previews they showed for next week's episode for fear of potential spoilers.

8. EStreetJoe

Was that a "holy shit" moment or what at the end of this week's episode? Shane realizing that Vic and Ronnie tried to have him killed.
    What's he going to do about it? With the female Armenian family head resurface? The rest of the season is shaping up quite nicely.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved seeing Tavon again. Always wondered whatever happened to that guy. Really wish they didn't get rid of his character.

10. EStreetJoe

It was great seeing Tavon again. Also loved how he knows the truth about what happened. You have to wonder if that's going to be a conflict with Shane the rest of the season or not.

Rewatched the episode and have to wonder how the Vic and Ronnie didn't catch Shane's slip-up/lie. At the garage Shane told them "sorry I'm late had to go back to the station to sign the reports" and after Vic says he tried to call Shane says "Reznian took my phone"

11. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

I added a poll to this post. This can twist and turn and end in so many ways. I just wanted to get a gauge on what this board thinks.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Remember. Shane said he barely got out of there to Vic in private.

Draft saved Draft deleted