1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Shield 4/10 -- SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 11, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Thoughts on the episode

-- Never thought Kavanaugh would cave that quickly.. but it will be interesting to see what direction Dutch and Claudette take the investigation now

-- Vic's Guardo obsession is going to get him trouble or get him hurt... tonight just showed what a badass he can be when he's a man on a mission

-- How soon before Shane cracks? He nearly admitted to Ronnie in the police station he did it when he proposed the hypothetical

-- I'm shocked that Ronnie and Vic didn't pick up on Shane's comment about Lem's not wanting to go to Mexico is what got him killed since they hadn't told Lem the Mexico plan yet

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The first two episodes this season haven't dissapointed.

Mackey's on a quest for vengeance so when he eventually finds out that Shane killed Lem, the fireworks should fly. The buildup should last most of the season.

It almost seemed like the writer's decided that the Kavanaugh string had played out, especially considering how quickly the plot changed last night. One minute Mackey is in deep trouble, the next he is visiting Kavanaugh in prison. Of course it shouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to figure out that if Mackey was the master bad guy that everybody thinks he is, that he wouldn't be stupid enough to leave so much evidence behind.

3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

There is no show on TV that moves at this pace. I figured the Vic vs. Kavanaugh conflict would take all season to play out, then it takes a huge turn in only the second episode. I have a bad feeling that somewhere along the line Guardo is going to do a payback kidnapping of one of the strike teams wives/kids.

When is the cellphone picture of Acevda going to surface?

This show is so much better that the Sopranos, yet it gets almost no press.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's very, very good. I love it.

But it's NOT better than the Sopranos.

5. EStreetJoe

Aceveda deleted that cellphone picture when he had the guy's cellphone before sending him to prison. That picture is not going to surface again.

I thought the Kavanaugh-Mackey conflict would take longer to play out as well, but I guess they only contracted Forrest Whittaker for so many episodes.

In terms of action/pacing The Shield is superior to The Sopranos, but The Sopranos still has the slight edge in terms of character studies and getting inside a character's head.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think the Kavanaugh thing might have taken a turn once Whittaker started getting so much Oscar buzz. Just my thoughts.
    Loved last night's episode. The only problem with the show is the season is so short, 15 episodes at the most I believe.
    For me, it's definitely better than the Sorpranos now, but only because the Sorpranos took so many long breaks in between seasons that it was easy to fall out of love with it.

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

It's a matter of taste, but I don't think the Sopranos does "character studies" as much as the writers don't have an idea of where to take the show. Watching Carmela walking around Paris with her mouth agape is not interesting television.

The Shield always delivers, keeps moving, and isn't predictable. The most recent episode of the Sopranos would have taken place in 15 minutes on the Shield.

8. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I wouldn't count Kavanaugh out yet. I was shocked to see how quickly they resolved that issue, but just when you think something's over, the show tends to spring it right back at you.

Aceveda's biggest worry is probably going to come when the woman he had sexual roleplay with comes back to bite him in the ass around the same time he makes his bid for Mayor.

This show is better than the Sopranos right now; it is fast paced, well written and does a great job of carrying several compelling storylines without taking from others. This is an ensamble cast in which you could make a case for at least a half-dozen of the actors and actresses to get an award nod. The Shield would be in more rarified status if it were on HBO, but is great where it is.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't think this is the end for Kavanaugh. He's either going to go into business for himself when he gets out on bail, or he'll hook up with Antwon and get a hit put out on Mackey. It's a nice changeup, that's for sure; the first episode makes you think the Kavanaugh-as-bad-cop angle is going to set the tone for the season, then they wrap it up in the second episode. I was expecting Kavanaugh to admit to planting evidence or at least coercing the story, then coming up with something that keeps him in the case, but not a full confession.

I'm very impressed with how they've handled Shane's character thus far. You figure he's going to be somewhat remorseful, possibly getting over it at some point in order to save his hide, but he's already tried to make himself a human sacrifice and all but confessed to Ronnie what happened.

No pimpology from Dutch on Tina yet. You can't leave that thread untied for long.

10. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Oh shit....I forgot about Dutch's Pimplogy on Tina. Too damn funny......

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This show never fails to entertain. It is moving right along. Kavanaugh is finished. He won't be heard from again.

Once "Lem's killer" is apprehended, all hell will break loose. Will Shane's conscience really show up?

12. EStreetJoe

Don't watch the previews for next week if you don't want to know the answer

Draft saved Draft deleted