1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SEC vs. Everyone Else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Florida is one of the top 50 universities in the country? In what? Number of body shots done in bars on a Friday night?

I weep for the future of America.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

We can just throw out those US News and World Report right now.
    Dartmouth above Cornell? Puh-lease.

3. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Am I the only person that would like to see the football equivalent of the Big Ten-ACC Challenge? My only request, of course, would be that neither the Big Ten nor the ACC be anywhere near this thing.

(Or has this been done and I'm just too young to remember?)

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Umm, don't you mean outrank all 11 SEC public schools?
    Vandy is in the SEC at last recall and they are No. 19 in the list you posted and ahead of everyone except Northwestern.
    Also, academic rankings are to a degree subjective, not objective. So, like the polls, they are good for arguments and marketing. That's about it.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

You are a fool as usual. WVU's out of conference with Sagarin rating: Maryland (49), Miss State (55), East Carolina (61). W Mich (130) and Marshall (144) suffering through poor years. And Sagarin has the Big East third overall as a conference.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And let's not forget in that academics debate -- that there is only one conference of the six majors that still allows non-qualifiers ......... you guessed -- it is the SEC.

Pop quiz though -- how many wins over teams from outside the conference currently ranked in the top 25 does the SEC have? And further, what is the SEC's record versus teams ranked in the current top 25?

Hmmmmm, let's see....

Georgia -- 0-0
    Tenn -- 0-0
    South car. -- 0-0
    Florida - 0-0
    Kentucky -- 0-0
    Vandy -- 0-0

LSU -- 1-0 (beat Va Tech)
    Alabama -- 0-0
    Auburn -- 0-1 (lost to USF)
    Miss St. -- 0-1 (lost to WVU)
    Arkansas -- 0-0
    Missouri -- 0-1 (lost to Missouri)

IN other words, for those of you scoring at home -- the big bad SEC has played a total of four non-conference games against teams currently ranked in the top 25 and they lost three of them.

Which basically shows that the only thing we know about the SEC is "they knock each other off" because their body of work outside the conference is, well, less than stellar.

Look at the SEC East -- outside of a Kentucky win over a very mediocre Louisville team -- what other non-conference win gives you any hint that any of those teams are any better than any number of good teams across the country?

Well, I mean outside of ESPN's constant blowing all things SEC way out of proportion......

The Big Ten blows, too, there is no doubt about it but the only thing the SEC has over many conferences in the country this year is the hype machine that follows it.

7. BBJones

BBJones Guest

I'm not sure where the animosity comes from here. Someone asked for proof. I gave it. If the truth hurts that the SE stands for Shitty Education, that's not my fault.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm an Army MEDEVAC pilot and am around arrogance that on a daily basis reach levels most wouldn't believe.

But this statement tops anything I've heard in a month.

Wow.

9. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Three_bags_full, I apologize for the shitty education crack. It was just that: a crack. Nothing more. Clearly those are all pretty good schools. At least most of them are.

My orginal post was not meant to throw the discussion off track. Sorry that it did. I just happened to read that in US News and throught I'd throw it out there. Someone asked for proof, so I provided that. I should have stopped at that point. My fault.

10. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

First off, why should SEC teams play a difficult non-conference schedule? Where's the upside? The easiest path to the title game is as the best team in the worst (or one of the worst) BCS conference.

If LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, or maybe even South Carolina, Alabama, and Kentucky had played a BC/Ohio State schedule, how many of those teams are undefeated. I'd say more than one. It doesn't mean the grits-eaters are good teams. It just means they have bigger and faster athletes than the teams BC and Ohio State feast on.

Give OSU and BC credit for beating the teams they should - something very few teams regardless of affiliation have done. But don't call them elite teams and then say the SEC has none. That doesn't pass the smell test. It is like being crowned the most athletic sportswriter. You may be quite the stud but we really don't know because you haven't had any legit competition.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Do SEC teams schedule tough OOC games? No.
    Is that any different from the schools in any of the other "power" conferences? No.
    Is there any reason for SEC schools to schedule tough OOC games? No.

The OOC schedules for nearly every power conference have been discussed in detail time and time again here. And I've yet to hear a convincing argument that the SEC teams' schedules are any weaker than those of the Pac-10, Big Ten, Big 12 or ACC. I might even throw in the Big East, too.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right, right, because Auburn -- who got beat by South Florida - a team who recently lost to UConn -- Tennessee -- a team that got crushed by an unranked Cal. team -- and Georgia, who got spanked by Tennessee and South Carolina -- who, under Steve Spurrier has become the team who always seems to have far more moral victories than actual victories in big games -- would just run through every other conference.

That's nonsense.

I'll say it again -- the only reason we "know" that the SEC teams are as good as they are hyped to be is because their hype machine constantly tells us.

But given that they rarely go out of conference to play games against real teams, I guess we'll never really know which is the way they like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted