1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SEC vs. Everyone Else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 1, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Notice how the SEC conveniently left that part out of its name, so it wouldn't have to embarrass itself by actually having to count ;)

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I grew up in one SEC town, went to college at an SEC school, have covered several SEC schools and I couldn't care less if it's the strongest conference or not.

Whether the SEC is the best of the Big Ten or the Mountain West, it has no impact on my life in the slightest.

Why people feel the need to defend or promote one conference over another is beyond me.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

It's parity all around. Same thing in the NFL, and baseball too.

I'm an SEC guy, but the PAC-10 looks stronger to me now.

Lotta offense out there. I love a lotta offense.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Don't bring any rational thought into this discussion. We don't take too kindly to it.

5. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Ok ...

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

14. Northwestern
    19. Vanderbilt University(TN)
    25. University of Michigan—Ann Arbor *
    38. University of Illinois—Urbana - Champaign *
    38. University of Wisconsin—Madison *
    48. Pennsylvania State University—University Park *
    49. University of Florida *
    57. Ohio State University—Columbus *
    59. University of Georgia *
    64. Purdue University—West Lafayette(IN) *
    64. University of Iowa *
    71. University of Minnesota—Twin Cities *
    71. Michigan State University *
    75. Indiana University—Bloomington *
    91. University of Alabama *
    96. Auburn University *
    96. University of Tennessee *
    112. University of South Carolina—Columbia *
    122. University of Kentucky *
    124. University of Arkansas *

Not ranked: Mississippi, LSU, Mississippi State
    * = public school

There are two private schools. The Big Ten's is ranked higher than the SECs.

All 11 Big Ten schools, meanwhile, out-rank nine of the SEC's 12 schools. Four Big Ten schools ourt-rank all 12 SEC schools.

We can argue football till we're blue in the face. But there is no argument here.

As for eligibility requirements, Ohio State has the biggest student population in the United States and its eligibility requirements, academically speaking, are among the hardest of any school, public or private. Michigan's, Purdue's and Penn State's, meanwhile, make OSU's look like a community college.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But its a pre-season poll...

I think the argument SEC is deep but doesn't have elite teams is bushit. I don't think Ohio State would be considered "elite" if it had a three game stretch of Florida, Kentucky and Auburn.
    Guess what? When two top teams in the SEC play each other - one of them has to lose! Cowherd's been making the argument that the SEC isn't as good this year and he has never been more wrong - except when he said Oregon State was a dark horse this season. There are non-BCS schools that have played tougher schedules than Ohio State and West Virginia this year.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. Of course I went to Ole Miss which has almost nothing to be proud of athletically.

8. Hammer Pants

Or academically, per Dean BB Jones.

9. Hammer Pants

And Channing Crowder went to Florida!

The SEC are morans.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You're right. I'll go fuck my sister now.

Dumbass.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

;)

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Bowl eligibility is a bunch of shit.

Arkansas will become bowl eligible with two more wins:

The Razorbacks "big" wins this year are over the following teams:

Troy
    North Texas
    Chattanooga
    Ole Miss
    FIU

When people cry out that their team is bowl eligible who gives a shit. Too many bowls and too many teams scheduling dogshit to get to the 6 wins. If I was a Razorback fan, a trip to the Shiteater Bowl will "impressive" wins over FIU and North Texas would be very disappointing.

Draft saved Draft deleted