1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SEC vs. Everyone Else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 1, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Maybe we can keep all our SEC arguments in one spot?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

We're having arguments about the Securities and Exchange Commission? Since when?

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-flspmikec01nbnov01,0,6457354.column

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Forever, man. FOR-EVER.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My argument remains the same. What separates that league is the absolute ass-kicking you take every week, win or lose. The teams beat the hell out of each other, which doesn't always show up in an early-season, non-conference game, or a bowl game following a month off. You can take any of those team's schedules, point to at least one three or four week stretch and go, "Yuck." That's my point.

However, I think the PAC-10 is rapidly gaining, and I think the Big East is much better than the Big 10 this season. The Big XII is disappointing me again.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no comment.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Put it this way: Would Ohio State be undefeated in the SEC right now? How about BC? Hell no.

LSU had to play Florida, Kentucky and Auburn, and now has to play at Alabama. That's a hell of a stretch.

That column is silly. What proof did he have that any other conference is stronger. None.

8. Hammer Pants

Thank you for doing your part to make the world a better place.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The SEC has great depth, the problem is a lack of elite teams. Only LSU remains in the hunt for the BCS title game, and even it has flaws (defense, crazy coach). I don't doubt that it's the best conference, from top to bottom. It's just the SEC lacks depth with premiere teams this season.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

But the problem is no one has any "proof" on either side of the argument. It is mostly just opinions. You can quote records all you want, but there is no quanitative or qualitative measure for the strength of a conference. Unless the SEC and Pac-10 go down the list, pitting each team against every team in the other conference, there will be none.

Anyone who has read any of my posts in the college football threads knows I'm a big supporter of the SEC, but I'm not blind enough to say that there is no room for argument.

I think the best common ground I've come across is that the Pac-10 is better at the top, but the SEC is better top to bottom. But like I said, who the hell knows?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

12. Hammer Pants

Ty, you forgot to mention that the Big 10 sucks from top to bottom.

Draft saved Draft deleted