1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Seattle Seahawks and PEDs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner reportedly facing a one-year suspension for a third positive PED test:

When is the Seattle Seahawks' continued use of PEDs going to become an issue?

The best team in the NFL has had seven players suspended for PED use in a four-year span (including one guy three times, and another overturned on a technicality).

Do football fans and media just not care?

If the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, is their title tainted?

(And yes, I know most of these guys tested positive for Adderall, or at least that's what they claim. A benefit of the NFL's drug policy is that the league will not make public what substance a player tests positive for, so a player can claim he took anything. Most of them say Adderall because there is not 'cheater' stigma attached).
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, they don't.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a violation of the substance-abuse (i.e. recreational) policy, isn't it?
  4. Steak Snabler

There's some gray area, I guess. Early reports said PEDs, now they're taking those references out. It's possible he skipped a drug test.

That could just be collective bargaining agreement legalese.

But I think we can agree that Adderall is a stimulant, and therefore has performance-enhancing qualities.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Essentially, the Seahawks are a bunch of cheats. All of the Seahawks' success is tainted. Everything the Seahawks have accomplished no longer counts in my book.

There is no other way to say this: The Seahawks are a complete fraud. Probably the biggest fraud in sports. Maybe in sports history.

If the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, it will not really count. Not to me it won't, and not to any rational sports fan/observer.
  6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Member

I'm with Inky on this one. I think people just don't really care, which is pretty dumb.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Plus they cheat by piping in crowd noise.
  8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not caring is dumb? Not caring seems the logical attitude to me. I think it's crazy how MUCH people care about it when it's related to baseball.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Saints are a better home team anyway.
  10. Steak Snabler

Apparently, the league could punish the Seahawks in the form of docked draft choices, per Peter King in his MMQB mailbag today (and for the record, I AM NOT Michael Alexander):

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fans and media don't care because the NFL has for a long time had a testing and penalties program, so fans and media don't think people are getting away with anything whether they are or not. Also, I believe that even the dimmest fan understands the horrific physical toll the sport takes on its players, and there's something of a "whatever it takes to get over" attitude on PED use.
    Rodney Harrison is a network commentator in good standing on the highest rated studio show. He's good at it, IMO. He's also someone who served a four-game suspension for HGH use. That situation would never, ever exist in baseball. I daresay relatively few fans even know Harrison was ever suspended.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Oh how it pains me to share rooting interests with Bodie, but well done gentleman, well done.
Draft saved Draft deleted