1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The science of the Super Bowl bash

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I guess the Toronto Star thinks people here in the Centre of the Universe don't know how to throw a party, but here is a primer on throwing a great Super Bowl party:

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/933735--super-bowl-super-bash

Hardly anything earth-shattering here: Chicken wings and chili? Pre-game football outside? Squares pools? Wow, never heard of that before. ;D

So I open it up to my SportsJournalists.com brothers and sisters: I know there are a lot of football fans on here - and a lot of people who like to party. What do you do for the big game?

I have to work tomorrow and won't be home until an hour or so before kickoff so it'll be a couple of beers and the big screen in the Lad's Pad with Mrs. Huggy and Huggy Jr. (until they get bored and move on to something else).

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have been putting a quiz based on SB props for my parties. About 25 questions, and almost always ones you'll have to totally guess on. They are spread out throughout the game, so things will happen in each quarter that affect the pool. Gives everyone something to watch for at all times.

Questions will be things like who wins the coin flip, who makes the first punt, over/under for one of the QB's passing yards, who makes first penalty, who wins game. Everyone throws in a dollar, winner take all, worst picker gets their dollar back. It's a lot of fun.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I have about 30 people coming over.

Chicken taco bites with homemade guacamole and salsa
    Spinach and Artichoke Dip
    Chili (no beans. it's not a stew)
    Homemade cornbread
    Mini-Burgers on Hawaiian sweet rolls
    Grilled Wings
    Assortment of grilled pizzas. Margherita, Pepperoni, BBQ Chicken

Salads, chips, lots of beer, wine and cocktails.

We do the standard pool and one guy will book prop bets from anyone who wants action.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My favorite prop: Color of the Gatorade poured over the winning coach's head.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Super Bowl XLV - What Color will the Gatorade be that is dumped on the Head Coach of the Winning Team
    Lime Green
    11-2
    Yellow
    5-6
    Orange
    5-1
    Red
    12-1
    Blue
    12-1
    Clear/Water
    3-2

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Small spread tomorrow... 10 people at most...
    Pregame -- munchies such as chips and salsa, seven layer dip, mini cupcakes, beer cheese soup.
    Halftime - chicken divan, rice pilaf, apple pie

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget the dynamics of who to invite. Nothing seems to ruin a party more than a) having someone there who doesn't care which team wins, but needs one side to cover; or b) someone who doesn't watch football all year except for this game and needs everything explained. I usually write a "Super Bowl for dummies" column each year for these types which includes a couple of obscure facts they can drop in so they don't look too uncool.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Small gathering at my place. The best baked ziti in the universe. Ever. Deli sammich spread, veggie tray, tons of chips and dip, cookies, the usual.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

May have to do a Baked Ziti throw down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mogen David and head[/heyabbott]

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

http://whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/06/menu-for-white-house-super-bowl-party/

President Obama's spread

Draft saved Draft deleted