1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sarah Silverman Show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jan 30, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

shotty, I know we've got this whole "agree to disagree" vibe going, but Dane Cook is not funny, and that is not arguable outside shouting distance of a frathouse.

2. Second that, too.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You'll notice I hesitated before saying it. Because I felt the same way ... until I saw his HBO special.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Which was painfully unfunny.

Which parts didn't you laugh at, the parts where he didn't tell jokes and instead made goofy noises, or the parts where he didn't tell jokes and told emo stories meant to highlight nonexistent universal foibles of relationships?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. I withdraw Dane Cook. But you all can put Sarah Silverman in the same category, then.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I heart Sarah Silverman. Mostly because I talk like she does (not nasally, but topic-wise). I like a good crass woman who can still be hot.

I heart her.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You want to heart her, ijag, you get in line. :D

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I've only seen her in The Aristocrats; her bit about being raped by Joe Franklin was just dumb.

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Sarah Silverman = hysterical
    Dane Cook = unfunny assclown

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bingo.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, brother.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Funny is in the eyes of the beholder, of course.

That said, the Rolling Stone profile I read on Silverman did not leave me particularly floored with her insight on her comedy, or life in general. She seems pretty uncomfortable with any role outside of sheer pariah, which would explain her performance in School of Rock.

I think IJAG sums it up well: People like the idea of her. Some cute, rich Jewish girl playing dirty. Comedy as an image. Interesting concept.

Draft saved Draft deleted