1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sarah Silverman show rocks - who else watchs it??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John D. Villarreal, Feb 8, 2007.

?

How hot is Sarah Silverman?

1. VERY HOT!!

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Hot (caliente?)!

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Almost hot/pretty

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Cute

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  5. Not good looking

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. tommyp

tommyp Member

I just couldn't get into it. It seems the elements are there, but the entire thing is completely forced...almost emotionless.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm just wondering if JDV is actually going to show up at the Dallas outing.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Caught her on Leno last night.

She was breathtakingly unfunny. And she and Leno both knew it, so they were really squirming.

(Edit: And yes, I know I run the risk of great scorn for having watched Leno.)

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

She couldn't have been less funny than Leno.

In all seriousness, though, that isn't her audience or format.

I'm not surprised she didn't do well.

If she's on Conan or The Daily Show, check that out.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Sad thing is, back in the '80s when he was touring comedian instead of a talking TV head, Leno was funny as hell.

Saw him live in a small comedy club and a large arena, and he killed.

Now? Not so much.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

"I've seen things that would make you crap a book on how to throw up."

I thought last night's wasn't as funny as the first show, but still better than 90 percent of the network comedies. And, I don't know, maybe it's a girl thing, but my wife was doubled over in laughter for most of the show, and I thought it was OK.

Oh, and does anyone else think she kinds of looks like a chimp sometimes? Or that friendly female ape from Planet of the Apes?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See, lots of people whose opinions I respect say that.

I was too young, I guess.

Too me he has always been the painfully unfunny guy with the jokes dumbed down for the masses and the cheap newspaper headline schtick.

My worst fear is that Conan will become that when he takes over that slot, and Masturbating Bear will be no more.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

If you weren't around then, Zeke, I can understand how you'd feel that way.

Maybe it's sort of the same thing where when I was growing up, I thought Bob Hope was relentlessly unfunny. Maybe he really was a hoot back in the day. And maybe not.

I was researching something about Hope (don't ask) not long ago, and I happened on this Chris Hitchens story written after Hope's death. Talk about a relentless rip job that I couldn't help but enjoy in spite of myself:

http://www.slate.com/id/2086499/

To be paralyzingly, painfully, hopelessly unfunny is not a particular defect or shortcoming in, say, a cable repair man or a Supreme Court justice or a Navy Seal. These jobs can be performed humorlessly with no loss of efficiency or impact. But to be paralyzingly, painfully, hopelessly unfunny is a serious drawback, even lapse, in a comedian. And the late Bob Hope devoted a fantastically successful and well-remunerated lifetime to showing that a truly unfunny man can make it as a comic. There is a laugh here, but it is on us.

I guess a lot of people who missed Leno in the '80s would say the same about him.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm only 36, but I've got a collection of all the Road movies starring Hope and Crosby, and I can say that while Hope, on his own, wasn't an incredibly funny man ... not like you would consider a standup comic, etc. ... he was truly hilarious because of his emotions and expressions.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good God, Chris Hitchens is an asshole.

He's one of those guys, when you agree with him you just think he's the shit, but when you don't you wish someone would smack right in the middle of his Limey gob.

I never got Bob Hope, either.

Carson was hilarious. So it wasn't a generational thing. Even more than hilarious, though, Carson had a realness about him you don't see from many comedians or actors. You got the feeling he'd be riffing on the same lines if it was just him and his buddies down at the pub. He was everyone's best funny friend, on their best funny night, five times a week.

Solid.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bob Hope comedy was of an era that is as foreign today as spats and bowler hats.

Hell, when I was a kid, I thought he was unfunny. My parents who grew up with his stuff during the 40's and 50's thought he was God

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I watched the second episode of Silverman's show last night. It's hysterical.
    Just a riot.

On a related note, this might be the funniest thing ever written around here.
    It just works for so many reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted