1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The San Berdoo Sun sets on Paul Oberjuerge

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by espnguy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was interesting. I bet if most newspapers looked at their ad department and lit a fire and got rid of dead wood and centuries old divisions of turf, newspapers would do a hell of a lot better.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What a collection of chimps in SB's advertising department.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The stupidity. It's relentless.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I've been told the ad department is expanding, at least at the Daily News. To go after car dealers, which are going out of business, job fairs, which are embroiled in a recession, and malls, which are consolidating their stores. Makes perfect sense.

5. Magnum

Magnum Member

The top 10 tips are right on.

I have and always will struggle with Nos. 3 and 4 - sucking up and not grousing - it goes against the grain of who we are but is often rewarded.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Read the blog entry last night and was floored, though the advertising department has always been utter crap there. But to see the level of incompetency for something so simple pretty much sums up why LANG is in the gutter and probably not coming out of it.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I am convinced that the suits who run newspapers have zero respect for journalists, by and large, because we're the "children" who spend their money. We don't make them money in any direct way. We continually come up with new ways to spend it. So they dislike us in a micro way for messing with their bottom line and they dislike us in a macro way because they only respect people like themselves, who base everything on making money.

That's all a gross generalization, I know. But it works for me. ;D

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

NEXT! [/rosenhaus]

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=49

Oh, this is good.

9. MileHigh

Like shooting fish in a barrel for him. The stuff just writes itself, though he does it a lot better.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great that all this news is finally getting out there for all to see. And much more well-written than the various Union blogs at LADN and LB.

11. MileHigh

His entry about trying to get an ad into the paper and all the hoops and crap he and his wife went through was fabulous and really sums up everything about LANG.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

There are a lot of funny stories about newspapers. This may be the funniest.

Draft saved Draft deleted