1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The San Antonio Raiders? (Or, dickhead coaches)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jul 29, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Re: The San Antonio Raiders?

Same with the Rockies and Royals, or even the Rockies and Cardinals.
    Kansas City was an old-school regional ball club in its 1970s heyday.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Kansas City was a playground for rural farmers in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri who were making a lot of money back in the late 70s. My grandparents went to KC all the time for Royals, Chiefs and Kings games. My dad would drive his Corvette down there to party.

Unfortunately, by the time I was a kid in the 80s there wasn't as much disposable income to throw around and the weekend of Royals and Worlds of Fun was a once-a-year thing.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

an ignorant question, but what's or who is the corporate support for Oakland? I've never been to No Cal but imagine that Oakland is to San Fran what Newark is to NYC

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's actually probably worse than that, but there are so many companies in the Bay Area, that even if the Raiders are the fourth or fifth choice among the local teams, they're probably doing OK.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seems to be an economy in transition. Even though San Jose has a larger population, San Francisco will always be The City. And Oakland is still very much the redheaded stepchild. Why did A's ownership want to head south, following the lead of the 49ers and Levi's Stadium? And the Warriors fleeing to the waterfront?

That said, if the Raiders are to remain in the Bay area, Oakland is the only hope, and, for better or worse, the city and Alameda County just crawled into bed with the A's. There is no way in h-e-double-hockeysticks they can play at Levi's Stadium (despite what was done in the Meadowlands), which is a monument to all things Niner.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Builders Square's and Whataburger's corporate headquarters are based in San Antonio, FWIW.
    And don't forget Harte Hanks!
    Fart's first newspaper employer.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Is all the talk about Oakland becoming the Bay Area Brooklyn bullshit, or at least overstated?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They have as much chance of going to San Antonio as they did going to Irwindale. It's all a play.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I doubt it. I don't want to say nobody would care if they left, but people wouldn't be nearly as upset as they were when they went to LA. I don't think Goodell wants them in LA.

I think this could happen.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Very possible.
    Neither the NFL nor MLB want to deal with the Oakland stadium problem any longer.
    And Al supported franchise free agency as much as anyone.
    He's pounding on the coffin lid right around now.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Every time I drive through Irwindale I think of how perfect it would have been for the Raiders. Just a post-apocalyptic Mad Max fucking rathole.

12. RecoveringJournalist

While Mark Davis is 1,000X more of a dipshit that his father in his final days, Al Davis actually had balls and was feared around the league, maybe not so much at the end, but for most of his career he was.

I don't think Mark Davis is smart enough to leverage anything from the league or Oakland at this point. There appears to be zero chance he ever gets a new stadium in Oakland. The belief has long been that Goodell will only let an expansion team go to Los Angeles, because the buy-in will he so enormous, unless it's a situation where the league buys a team, moves it there and then sells it.

I grew up going to 49ers and Raiders games as a kid and the Coliseum used to be an insane place to watch a game. It hasn't been that way in a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted