1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The San Antonio Raiders? (Or, dickhead coaches)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: The San Antonio Raiders?

Will they change the pirate logo to Santa Anna?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spurs have drawn well since their ABA days.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Corporate support is the question in San Antonio, especially if the new team sought stadium guarantees.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wonder how much support, corporate and otherwise, an NFL team would get from Austin.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You have to figure most of them are tied to the Cowboys, Jake. I don't think three hours vs. an hour and a half is going to overcome that.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. I wasn't sure though because they're on one hell of a run of 25+ years and I think they've missed the playoffs once since David Robinson's rookie year.

I know the Raiders have had trouble drawing for awhile. San Antonio is about four hours from Dallas and maybe close to three hours from Houston. Most cities/areas with only one or two professional teams usually draw pretty well. Jacksonville is an exception. The Sacramento Kings haven't drawn as well as they used to, but they sold out all the time even when they sucked in from 1985-2000.

7. LongTimeListener

Not just because of the haircut, but I really wonder why any city would want to do billion-dollar business with that buffoon. He is Tommy Boy. Something will go wrong.

8. Jake_Taylor

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily expect Joe Longhorn to sign up for Raiders season tickets, but would Dell or Whole Foods be more likely to buy suites and advertising in San Antonio?

9. LongTimeListener

From some (limited exposure) to Austin, it doesn't seem to me that the city aligns itself with San Antonio very much. Feels more like South Dallas for stuff like that.

10. Jake_Taylor

I don't know why, but I'm always interested in pro teams and secondary markets. Who gets support from a nearby city? Who relies on it?

I lived in the Research Triange, N.C., when the Panthers were playing in the Super Bowl and was surprised nobody really seemed to care. Cuban was against the Sonics moving to OKC, but I can't imagine it really made a big difference to him unless he was super concerned about which team's t-shirts the Walmart in Ardmore was carrying. Richmond's always been a Redskins town, but it seems even more now that training camp is there. How important is that to Dan Snyder with more and more Maryland kids growing up Ravens fans?

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You're probably right but it's not like there are many other options if you want NFL football. Knowing the Texas mentality, I could see San Antonio going all out to get this done ... if it's a legit effort.

12. Re: The San Antonio Raiders?

For the NFL, secondary markets do not matter much, except maybe take away radio rights. The Cowboys also own their own merchandising rights, unlike other NFL teams.

Other leagues are different. The arrival of the Thunder took Oklahoma out of the Mavericks TV market.

Draft saved Draft deleted