1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sadness of karaoke night at the soulless suburban bar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lono - in my neck of the woods, we called poking a frog with a stick, at any age, rape.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Hey, what you do now is skull fuck the mental midgets on the board. Either way, it's a G thang.

3. Faithless

Faithless Member

My wife and I tried the karaoke thing once. Actually, I gave in to her constant bugging about singing while we were visiting the karaoke bar at Graham Central Station in Nashville. I made the mistake of letting her pick the song, and she picked Prince's "1999."

We sucked. As I heard myself singing, I knew I sucked, and I'm sure the 30-to-40 people in the audience were thinking the same thing. We sure as hell didn't get any standing applause when we finished. My voice is too deep to be singing any pop songs at a karaoke joint.

My wife, bless her heart, is an average singer - and I'm being very generous about that. She sings in the church choir; thankfully the good singers drown her out. She'll sometime break out in song at home, and that's when I move to another room.

We've been to other nightclubs that had karaoke since that night in Nashville. My wife would see some guys singing (poorly, I might add), and then she'll ask if I would get on stage to sing for her. I love my wife, but I'm not subjecting myself to that kind of embarrassment again.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Me and a college roommate -- one of the few Poison fans (well, aside from BYH) left in the early 2000s -- sang "Talk Dirty To Me" after a happy hour that ended up lasting all night.

Terrible song. Shit singing (really, there's nothing worse than a crap tune sung out of pitch). Take away the time I shit my pants on the way to prep football playoff game, and it's the most embarrassing moment of my life. :-[

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If there's karaoke there, I'll be there whether spnited comes down or not. ;)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The last and only time I sang karaoke was very drunk, after a day working at the bar after a Michigan-Ohio State game... the Rodeo Song... loudly. With kids in the bar. And I didn't care...

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Well, it's 40 below, got a heater in the truck and I don't give a fuck....

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think I screamed it at the bar owners... IIRC, I think we were asked to leave as a group shortly after that

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Place that would throw you out for that isn't worth hanging around in IMO....

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was close to the bar we all came from ... of course, it was in a bowling alley.

Draft saved Draft deleted