1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The sacred MLB boxes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 20, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I guess you can't really tell them to get back to you about the second product after they've found a business model that works, huh?

Moddy, here's the thing, as I see it. The old way may not be working. But nobody can prove to me that this particular change would produce something that works better. My bet is that it would work worse.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So the future is based on ... oooh, look, a shiny ball!

3. Don't get me wrong, I know that the same would happen at my shop and we get angry calls even when there's a late, late game we leave out. I'm just saying that it's a justifiable thing to cut for a lot of people, especially those in a market without an MLB team or without someone with an extra hour to spend each night making a dedicated MLB box page.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's what they always say, which I never understood. If you've got local preps copy, isn't Mom going to read that? It's sure as hell the moms who call up bitching when little Johnny Curveball ISN'T in the paper.

That said, I still don't think the vast majority of average readers give a shit about preps or most other local sport, with the notable exception of football and sometimes basketball.

If anybody gave a shit about high school volleyball or tennis, more than the parents would show up and watch it.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Mom probably isn't a subscriber. She just steals the neighbor's paper.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I agree with your misunderstanding. It's always a mystery to me why more ad reps don't try to sell clients on the sports section. We know a lot of people read it.

As someone else said, some national ads end up in there, just because of color position. Not because it's requested.

I actually had a barber who used to put a small ad in the sports section once a week. He quit advertising there, not because people didn't see it, but because the ad rep wouldn't give him the time of day. Never would return calls, answer questions, etc.

Smaller account = less commission = business owner gets ignored, then quits advertising.

[/threadjack over]

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I absolutely hate it. To devote a full page in a four-page section, every single day for six months, to one sport that has consistently disgraced itself is a HORRIBLE waste of space.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, let's have you bring your newsplay choices down to a moral judgment. Don't forget to tell newsside they need to scrap all stories on the governor of California, too.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yeah, the hell with all the fans.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

All sports have disgraced themselves.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure glad the title of the book got changed to The Lovely Bones.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do you give any other sport/league that much space? I mean a full page in what some days is a four-page section is a HUGE percentage. And to do every single day for half the year? We don't do it for NFL, NBA, NHL, college sports, etc.

The space seems out of proportion to the rest of the sports world we cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted