1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sacha Baron Cohen Thing about Zuckerberg et al

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Delivered an eloquent screed at an ADL function railing against hate, prejudice, lies, Zuckerberg, YouTube, Twitter and the need to regulate the Silicon Valley 6 ... or "robber barons" as he referred to them.

OscarMadison and Stoney like this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not the fault of people who gobble up misinformation and racist memes on Facebook. ... It's the fault of Facebook itself and the guy who gave people Facebook.

Did anyone else find it ironic at all that a guy who has made his name playing fictional characters that try to dupe people. . ... was essentially calling out the internet and social media platforms because they allow people to dupe others?

I get that he thinks what he does is righteous because he is trying to expose all the isms. And Facebook isn't righteous, because bad people can use it to promulgate those isms.

But the kind of censorship he is essentially advocating for would necessarily have to shut down his career.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  3. Songbird

It's art of the highest order ... and everyone is in on the joke. That's the difference.

heyabbott and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Songbird

Cuts straight to the fucking heart.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is the stretch to end all stretches, my man.

6. The Big Ragu

Not everyone is in on it. The joke is always that his marks are NOT in on the joke.

DD, the point I wanted to make was that I found it ironic.... a guy whose shtick is duping people should be careful about advocating censorship or regulation of others on the basis of how their platforms can be used dishonestly.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, it's a really good speech as it relates to the ideas about Facebook's moral obligation and the like.

Second, it's much murkier as a prescriptive, as SBC kind of goes back and forth between "they should" and "they should and we should make them." When SBC uses the restaurant owner kicking out the neo-Nazi, he uses the phrase "legal right and moral obligation," and I firmly agree with both. That's not the same as "legal obligation," which is a more provocative idea.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There’s only one actor in that clip. That’s terrifying.

Songbird likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Anyone with a brain can see Cohen is a goof and he has a wonderful ability to find people without brains and show how out of touch they can be.

What FB and other platforms do is provide something where people can disguise disguise hate, false accusations, false information as fact to a large portion of society that takes it as truth.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Songbird

Pay attention to the father in the blue shirt when SBC asks if his kid is fine with "dead or dying animals" and the father pauses for 1 second because he knows that this is a "WTF moment" ... the kind of WTF moment when the father of a young child is supposed to make the right decision in the face of the utterly absurd.

Watch the father's eyes. In that 1 second he knows he should say no and get up and walk the fuck out. LOL should. That 1 second is what Sacha Baron Cohen's art is all about. It's not so different from Teller (from Penn and Teller) putting a "magic trick" into motion as a teenager -- based on the story of Enoch Soames -- just to be able to smirk in the corner 30 years later as the "trick" reveals itself to no one but himself. Such brilliance.

The father's 1-second pause here is the exact definition of "everyone is in on the joke" ... but it's the saddest fucking joke, a sad commentary, on society. The entire clip is amazing and especially when the mother finds out her child will be dressed as a Nazi officer pushing a wheelbarrow with a baby Jew into the oven. "How do you feel?" The mother is incredulous but answers "Great, if she got the job" ... but you can bet your ass she wants to puke as she says that.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Songbird

I like to know if there were any parents who DID get up and storm out. Those would be some good outtakes to see.

12. The Big Ragu

You can't have an " 'anyone with a brain' can tell the difference" or "One is 'art of the highest order,' " standard for regulating one type of speech for some reason, and excluding other things that (less subjectively) fall afoul of the same standard.

That is putting aside the fact that our constitution (thankfully) protects speech -- even hate, false infomation, etc. -- and it should be incumbent on each of us to evaluate the truth of all the freely diseminated stuff we are bombarded with for ourselves. ...not have a truth ministry type of law doing it for us. That is so dangerous to a free society.

You (and I do, too for what it is worth) think his characters are funny and are good at "finding people without brains and showing how out of touch they can be." But when someone else disagrees and says, "No, what he is doing is disguising his intentions and using false information to try to trick people into taking something false as the truth," they are essentially making the same argument you made about some of the things other people use facebook as a platform for.

Which is where I saw the irony in him trying to be this messenger. ... given how he has made his name.

I am against any kind of censorship or regulation of speech like the type he is advocating for. Particularly when it isn't just a pressure campaign to try to get the platforms to do the bidding of the people advocating for the censorship. ... but even worse, when it is people wanting our government to create the speech restrictions.

What gets me about people like him is that everyhing they advocate for is predicated on their sensibilities of what is harmful speech as pposed to what is righteous or satirical or good intentioned and doesn't need to be regulated that way. The fact that nobody agrees about stuff like that is why in order to actually have free speech, it needs to be an absolute right, not one with subjective standards of what is OK and what isn't. Otherwise, it is meaningless.

justgladtobehere and bigpern23 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted