1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ryder Cup might be interesting this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Agreed. He's 34 and still has at least five good years left.

Additionally, I really don't understand the venom that is spilled when his name comes up. If you hated him before, fine. But if this incident has changed your view, that really baffles me.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pavin doesn't have the balls to leave Tiger off the team. This is all just posturing.

Pavin shouldn't leave Tiger off the team, btw. Despite the disaster at Firestone and the lackluster play this week, there is still plenty of time for him to tinker with his swing and get his game going. He has a lot of Ryder Cup experience, big match experience and match play experience. Foreball at the Ryder Cup might actually be perfect for Tiger's spotty swing right now because if he sucks it up on a hole, it doesn't matter. Put him with someone like Furyk and he'll be fine.

The idea that Pavin would leave him off the squad in favor of someone outside the Top 12 is laughable. Cink and Sean O'Hair should get some consideration, but not more than Woods. But seriously, does anyone really think Bo Van Pelt or Ben Crane is getting Tiger's spot?

Again, the Ryder Cup is in October. Given that he has a month to figure out his game, I'll be livid if Pavin leaves him off the team, and I dislike Tiger Woods as much as anyone on this board.

And no, the Ryder Cup is not overhyped. The Ryder Cup is perfectly hyped. It's one of the best events in sports. Period.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with DD. Put yourself in Pavin's place. What do you think will be said of a Ryder Cup captain who leaves Woods off the team and then loses (with or without Tiger, the U.S. are underdogs)? Not pretty.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I understand if Pavin picks Tiger, and I understand if he doesn't. If I'm not mistaken, the U.S. is 1-4 in Ryder Cups in which Tiger has played, so I'm still trying to figure out what he brings to the table.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's the old argument played out every day on sports talk: "How can Podunk's manager bench Joe Schmoe? I know he's batting only .110 and made four errors in the same inning, but they're paying him all that money ..."

Biggest threat to Tiger's Q ratings, next to Elle, may be if AP ever takes Ferguson off the golf beat. Is he the story every effing time?

Draft saved Draft deleted