1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ryder Cup might be interesting this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Someone's gonna fight Jim Gray? Count. Me. In."

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

the ryder cup is much better being there in person than watching on TV. Lots of stuff that you don't get in the week-to-week stuff at PGA Tour stops. Watching Boo Weekly gallop off the first tee in 06 in Louisville was pretty entertaining. it's much better than the prez cup, which is nothing but a lovefest, that's for sure.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You can thank the comeback in Boston for the overhype. The Euros, their fans, and their media, including that pompous Peter Alliss have circled the Ryder Cup as their golf "Super Bowl." American fans and media, in return, sees it as "game on, motherfuckers."

It's great theater and hype, but doesn't mean a damn thing if America gets boat-raced and Tiger and Phil complains about not getting paid to play Ryder Cup.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

All these guys are buddy-buddy in the 10 or 12 tournaments they all play in together, then for three days they're supposed to hate one another and want to throw them off a cliff, then the week after they're back to strolling down the fairway, arm in arm? I don't know if there's too much hype, but it's definitely contrived.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The interesting part is that these are, to borrow Doris Kearns Goodwin's phrase, real "teams of rivals." These guys spend all year trying to beat each other, with interaction between most Yanks and Euros limited to the majors and WGC events, then become teammates for a week. It leads to interesting psychological effects. If you wanted a real rivalry, you'd made Woods captain of one team, and Mickelson captain of the other, and have choose sides regardless of nationality.
    Come to think of it, THERE'S an idea for ESPN this winter.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Jim Gray is the biggest douche on the planet. He's going to poke his finger at the wrong person and get his ass deservedly kicked.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What the hell is the Walker Cup?

8. Sorry Presidents Cup.
    Walker is for Amateurs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How is the President's Cup incredibly overhyped? Please explain. I consider myself a pretty invested sports fan -- of all sports, including golf -- and I couldn't even tell you when the last President's Cup was or when the next one will be.

I think you're getting a little carried away with people getting carried away over these two events.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think they're as buddy-buddy as one would think. Most of the top guys live in their own bubbles, with swing gurus and agents and shrinks, and sometimes the bubbles just end up next to each other at the same events.

Some of the captain talk and team-building stuff is absolutely overhyped, but there is something to getting chemistry between two golfers in alternate-shot play. If you have just a smidge of dislike for a teammate, it's gonna blow up when he starts hitting shots in the woods.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's what the professionals copied in order to create the Ryder Cup.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Lord have mercy you people are ignorant for sportswriters.

Pay attention...

Ryder Cup: Match play competition between the U.S. and Europe, held in even-numbered years (used to be in odd before 2001 matches cancelled because of 9-11). Began in 1927 and was U.S. vs. Great Britain/Ireland until 1987 (Great Britain also includes Scotland and Wales). Professionals. Run by the PGA of America.

Presidents Cup: Match play competition between the U.S. and the world with the exception of Europe. Created in 1994 by the PGA Tour mainly for Greg Norman and Nick Price to have a match-play competition in which to compete. Held in odd-numbered years to avoid conflict with Ryder Cup. Professionals. Run by the PGA Tour.

Walker Cup: Match play competition for amateurs only between the U.S. and Great Britain/Ireland. Actually older than the Ryder Cup, beginning in 1922. Now held in odd-numbered years. Run by the United States Golf Association. Event named for George Herbert Walker, the USGA president who created it. Yes, he's the grandfather of George H. W. Bush and great-grandfather of George W. and Jeb Bush.

Draft saved Draft deleted