1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ryder Cup might be interesting this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Though it has little to do with golf.
    First on this side of the pond is the will he (Corey Pavin) or won't he pick Tiger.
    Jim Gray reported for the GC that Pavin said it would be a no-brainer to pick TW if he fails to qualify. Pavin reportedly twittered a response today saying he was misquoted.
    Per TBL

On the other side of the pond. There is a brewing mess surrounding Monty and some embarassing photos. Monty has gotten an injunction to prevent a story and photos from being published so there is no word on what the story is.
    http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/report-ex-girlfriend-behind-monty-tabloid-story-28817
    [urlhttp://www.sportsbybrooks.com/monty-fight-with-tabloid-over-embarrassing-pix-28811][/url]

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doesn't Tiger typically suck in Ryder Cups anyway? I don't see the big deal.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It should be noted that Corey Pavin is four spots AHEAD of Tiger on the current money list, in one less event.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I beleive he was 5-0 in the last Presidents Cup. But he generally blows in Ryder Cups.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

Right. He blows in Ryder Cups. And with him playing the worst golf of his career, why the hell would Pavin choose him?

No one gives a shit about the President's Cup. They care about the Ryder Cup, though.

6. Ratings...
    Yes, Tiger sucks but who the hell wants to watch golf w/o Tiger? PGA ratings final round Sunday rating plummet w/o Tiger in contention.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, the golf world might as well get used to it. The dude just looks broken right now. Maybe an offseason sans drama will fix him, but he's miles and miles away from being competitive at this point, especially with the putter.

8. JackReacher

But Tiger's never in contention at the Ryder Cup either.

Based on golf, Tiger has no place on the Ryder Cup team. If Pavin has any balls at all, he'll not select him. And if Tiger has any balls, he'll reject any invitation he might get.

Tiger didn't play in the last Ryder Cup. Did the ratings drop significantly? I'm asking because I don't know.

9. JackReacher

According to http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2008/9/23/ryder-cup-ratings-up.html, ratings at the 08 Ryder Cup, without Woods, went UP from the 06 Ryder Cup, with Woods.

"The Ryder Cup is one event that got a bump in television ratings despite not having Woods. The national overnight Nielsen rating for NBC's six-hour Sunday telecast was 3.7, up 22 percent from the final day in '06, when the U.S. got blown out early in the morning (U.S. time) in Ireland. "

***me again....The Ryder Cup is a different beast than the average PGA stop in Akron. The whole ratings argument doesn't hold as much water. It's about countries, not individuals, Tiger included.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Strasburg shoulda been an all-star. :)

11. JackReacher

And he would have rejected the invitation. :)

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To the point, I agree that Tiger belongs nowhere near that team. I really can't imagine NBC in Pavin's ear pressing him to make that choice, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted