1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The running "Your Office Christmas Party" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Dec 1, 2006.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

A few years ago, our place did exactly that. Everyone felt a Christmas party was a hassle, what with all the other obligations, and attendance was dwindling.
    Turned it into a summer BBQ, invite kids as well as spouses, was well attended and everyone enjoyed themselves.
    Highly recommend it

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

In a couple of weeks, the idiots in advertising/circulation/creative services/random ass people who don't seem to do any actual work will have a pot-luck get together at noon.
    At 4, when the sports dept. arrives, we'll be told that we can go make a plate of leftovers.

Happy Holidays

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i briefly worked at a startup magazine that wasn't doing so well. the holiday party was at the boss' house. he served ham sandwiches on wonder bread and nothing else.

at the law firm where i work part-time now the holiday part is at an upscale steak house on south beach. it's the day before my last final exam of the semester but since it's over lunch, not dinner, i'll be there. can't pass up free kobe beef.

4. azom

azom Member

Ours is on a Friday night. 'Nuff said.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I thought the thread title was "The ruining Your Office Christmas Party thread"

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Do we work together?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My paper "doesn't know" if it's going to have a party. They're doing a food day on Tuesday, which is fine for people who aren't laying out Paper B in our cluster -- y'know, people like me. I'll just stare at the white walls of my apartment and drink Maker's Mark and rum until I think I'm happy. MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

wow. that's depressing

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Welcome to my world, baby. Actually that's not entirely true; I'm usually too tired to bother with drinking and skip directly to the wall staring.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Any company parties restricting liquor due to liabilities?

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Ours is next week. I've bailed out with reasonable excuses for about six years now, but didn't have one handy this year and figured I'd get wrangled into going. I can't stand the fakeness of the boss pretending he likes us.

But I got lucky - this year it's been schedule for Saturday night instead of its usual Sunday. I can't remember the last time I was excited to crank out basketball box scores all Saturday.

And even better: a freelance gig party is the following weekend, which I coincidentally asked off. That one I'm looking forward to.

12. Hey, I'm actually really looking forward to going to my first holiday party. Seeing your coworkers eight hours a day? Sure, if you're an editor. I'm a reporter. I see my coworkers once every few blue moons, and I see the SE even less than that. Only time I hang out with coworkers is after the bigger events where multiple reporters are sent to. And that's only when we're not too exhausted after covering the event.

Draft saved Draft deleted