1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The running Spring Training thread, 2010 edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.faithandfearinflushing.com/2010/02/18/as-mets-catchers-report/

At this rate I expect Junior Ortiz to get a call.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

His numbers would have gotten him close to those traditionally, I don't think he's a HOFer either, but he could have faked it.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Nah, I don't think he gets close. My test is pretty much 'did people ever turn up at the ballpark just to watch him?' And I'm pretty sure no one has ever said 'I can't wait to see Johnny Damon play!'

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Rays C Dioner Navarro, quoted by St. Pete Times' Marc Topkin: "I just want to do my job and get rich."

Based on looks, he needs to do that in order to afford the donuts:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If Damon played four more years, which isn't totally impossible, he'd be knocking on the 3,000-hit door. That would put him in the conversation at the very least.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd think some women and gay guys might have said that, for non-baseball reasons.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, it was both. There was no good reason for the Yankees to back off from their initial offer except they wanted to prove a point. The only point I think they will end up proving is that they would have been better off with Damon on the roster than they will be with Nick Johnson.

Did Boras overplay his hand and hurt his client on this one? Absolutely. Did Damon screw up by listening to Boras? No question. I'm just saying both sides messed up.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The next great one, Stephen Strasburg, has picked up the nickname Jesus.
    Why?
    Pulled from the Washington Post's Nationals Journal:

"'Cause what's the first thing you say when you see him pitch?" centerfielder Nyjer Morgan said, excited just to answer his own question. "Jeee-sus!"

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree. Maybe I'm nuts, but I'd rather have Damon than Johnson, just because of the speed factor. I'd think if the Yanks really wanted to, they could have offered Damon $9 million for the year and locked him up.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

His line, straight thru with the Yankees (from what I heard him say) was no less than 2 for 22.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's not true, at least not from what I've heard and read. Boras tried to come down, but it was too late in the Yankees' eyes, so they lowered their initial offer. If they had kept the 2-year, $14 million on the table rather than try to lowball him around the time they signed Johnson, he'd be a Yankee.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Methinks Bor-ass might find himself with fewer clients down the road. His take it or leave it is getting old, even though he has the notes to back up his claims a lot of times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.