1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The running compliment thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. And I thank you.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

To Moddy - Thanks for coming up with the SportsJournalists.com outing idea. Two "vacations" I'm thankful I got to attend because I met some kickass and downright cool people.

Oh, and to Webby, er Lucas Wiseman -- Thanks for creating the PM function of this site. Without it, I likely would never come back because it's through private interactions where I think some of the best advice has been received, and I hope, given.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is a fantasic thread. Thanks. I needed this one.

Thanks for the kind words Birdscribe.

Thanks to Webby for the site, Moddy because he's a good guy with a ton of common sense and 21 for her wit, intelligence and friendship. Lots of others I love too (FHB, jgmacg, Lee Jackson Beauregard would be good places to start), but I will inevitably leave a dozen more people out..

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

T_P, you and I could not have closer tastes in women. I swear to you, I'm the Donald Trump of loving JLH. What does that make Donald Trump? The Donald Trump of Donald Trump of loving JLH? I don't know.

The girl I was feinding over for a while looked 100 percent like her, to the point that I would bet they were sisters if they were right next to each other.

I love P-L-A-Y magazine, but I just might have to change mine pretty soon...

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

While I wait for the caffeine to take hold:

My compliments to the many writers, young and old, who've brought their work and wit and insight to the Writers' Workshop. It's powerfully reassuring to see their devotion to craft. If you've never visited that little corner of the board, please do. We need your keen eye and your courage, your passion and imagination. There isn't one among us anywhere, from Bozeman to Manhattan, whose work and spirit don't benefit from constructive criticism given and received.

My compliments to Webby for keeping this midnight basketball program open, so we all have someplace wholesome to go.

My compliments to our many moderators, who encourage us all to bring butter knives to the daily gunfight, and who keep most of us honest most of the time.

My genuflected thanks to the great god Electronica, for streaming the photons of all the friendships I've made here, real and virtual.

My compliments to F_B for letting me draft off his heat. My compliments to The Jones and DD for likewise being kindred spirits. My compliments to Dave Kindred for being one as well, thus at once both proper name and adjective. My compliments and thanks to B_R for his thoughtful doggedness in argument, and to everyone on the other side of the aisle for aiding my understanding of how the world turns.

My compliments to you all, in fact, for making me laugh and think and cringe, for letting me into your lives and heads and hearts.

More later - or not - but my genuine thanks and warmest regards to all who gather here.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit. now my only hope is i don't let you down come february.

EDIT: and oh yeah, remind me to never introduce you to mrs. petty.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My compliments to jcmacg for compiling the list we dare not speak of, but which will be saved permanently in my PMs. And for getting through the ultimate board indignity with class.

My compliments to three bags full for saving us from having to ponder the thread of the year issue for the next 11 months.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

First, to some of the women of the board.

IJAG and sportschick: I've enjoyed my PMs with both of immensely. You've both been thoughtful and kind and I appreciate that more than you know. You each, in your own way, made me feel incredibly at home here when I first arrived, and without that, I probably wouldn't have stayed.

21: The things you write make me thing. The way you write them makes me copy them into my moleskine or drag them into the stickies on my desktop. Your writing is top notch. When it's serious, it is thought-provoking and insightful. When it's funny, it's downright sidesplitting.

Flash: I'm pretty sure our first exchange featured me being both asinine and insulting. Thank you for not holding it against me. I want you to know you're the reason I start basic hockey skating lessons in February, something I never thought I'd say (about the sport... not about you). You're different in a number of ways from some of the other women here, and I think that contrast enriches the place.

Spup: There are a lot of things I could say getting to know you, but for now I'll just commend you for your great support re: the biggest looser. It means a great deal.

Second, to three special guys.

Johnny_Dangerously: You're the only fake uncle I've ever had. And the only one I'll ever want to have. You're an amazing guy, and I wouldn't trade our friendship for anything.

Joe: You really are a darling. You are so kind and so patient. Even when we both know I'm being all me-centered, you're willing to see the best I can be. Thank you. For your friendship, for your understanding and for your fabulous sense of humor.

'Beet: I can't tell you how much I admire and respect the way you handle yourself when it comes to some of the more serious issues around this place. This isn't an easy place to be different, but you've shown remarkable aplomb. You are a credit to us all.

I'm sure there are others who I've not named here, and for that I apologize. This is a great place to stop in and unwind. Thank you for making it that way.

9. Ditto

10. Flash

Flash Guest

To those who get it,
    My humblest thanks.
    Flash

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The coda understands. (See below.)

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I have a couple

Doc: Life wouldn't be as amazing without you. I might not be stuck in a state of conservatives, but it wouldn't be anything without you.

Joe: You make shakespeare's pizza better just by being there. Pizza and beer never tasted so good. :) You're hilarious and you spent one of the best days of my life with me and Doc. I appreciate more than words can express.

Mertwindu (wherever you are): You made the week of my wedding unstressful. You're awesome and so funny. I'm pretty sure my parents want you to marry my sister just so you can be in the family. Too bad she wasn't the one you were after. :) I promise never to use the words Hobby Lobby around you again. Shit, I just did it, didn't I? ;)

Norm: Best friend a girl could ask for. You're funny and arrogant as hell, but I can't walk away. Your love for Tom Brady's manhood is inspiring to say the least. And while I beat the pants off you last year in Fantasy Football, I can't deny your overwhelming dominance in the CIAFL this year.

Sportschick: When my work schedule sucks, I know it's OK because I can come in and PM with you. Thanks for being such a good friend to both me and Doc.

21: We've had our differences in the past, but the knowledge and tips you bring to the biggest looser thread are invaluable and give me and the other challengers hope and help every day. Thanks!

GBNF: You have seriously made my best friend sound happy again in a place where she knows nobody. That rocks more than you know. I hate when she's upset and it seems like meeting you might have made a big difference. Thank you so much.

Pallister: Despite your love for the White Sox, you're awesome. That's all I can really say. I think awesome encompasses everything.

and finally

To all the members of the CIAFL: You make fantasy leagues fun. The trash talking, the comments about my love for LaMont Jordan and Rex Grossman. It makes it all worth playing fantasy sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted