1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The running compliment thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

There's been too much nastiness around here recently, so here's my idea to make SJ a bit brighter. On this thread, post something complimentary about another board member. Be as specific or vague as you want, but it must be sincere -- no acting like a dick with backhanded compliments.

I'll start:

Sportschick-

You have impeccable taste. I find myself agreeing with all your opinions, from men to politics to movies to drinks. You've been nothing but kind to me since I joined, and you're one of the posters I look forward to reading on pretty much every topic. Thanks for being a great person!

-Beetus

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm blushing. Wow!

So I'll give it a try.

Writing Irish,

Thanks for making me laugh and think, often with the same post. This board would be a much better place if there were more of you.

SC

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sportschick,

Even though I've been picking on your shoe choices on the Seattle thread, you do have great taste in clothes and shoes. You're responsible for one of my favorite shirts ever, the superheroes one.

Cadet

----

'Beet,

Great thread idea. We don't have enough of this.

Cadet

P.S. -- Every time I read your name I get the "diabeetus" rap song in my head.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Tom Petty,

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I love your taste in music. I could definitely see hanging out with you and jamming out to your song collection.

GBNF,

A special shout out to another Fleetwood Mac fan in our midst. Loved that story you sent me even though you nuked before I could see your reaction to what I had to say about it.

sportschick,

I've got to pretty much echo Beetus. I've enjoyed meeting you and wicked twice.

Wicked,

Thanks for being awesome the two times we've met in person.

Double Down and jgmacg,

I wish I could be half the writer that either of you are.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

To everybody:

Nice shirt.

[​IMG]

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

To uibomber, for starting the "funniest things...." thread. Though it spiraled out of control a bit, I giggled. A lot.

To diabeetus, who actually made me stop and think how to spell diabetes in scrabble the other day.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

To 21, for having the ability to say exactly what I wanted to, but with far more finese and less snark.

To wicked, for putting up with my cowboy obsession and being an all-around great guy.

To Norm, for giving more reasons to giggle than you know.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

To forever_town, I owe you a pitcher for the kind words! I knew my bribes would work.

To the people who have been there for me, thank you.

To SC, I heart you, too.

To God/Allah, thank you for not letting me get in too far over my head, yet.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

To PCloadletter, You've given me more hope for my career in the last 24 hours than I thought possible. You rock!

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

SC, Thanks very much. ;)

I feel a little bad about having contributed to some of the rancor around here, so I'll gladly participate in something positive.

All the more serious-minded posters who spend more time on the Journalism board than on the Sports/News and Anything Goes boards, thanks for keeping this place a credible website while the rest of us are engaged in political pissing matches and making sexual jokes.

To all the posters who are knowledgeable about hockey, thanks for posting. It's kind of hard for me to keep up with hockey where I live and it's nice to read some informed opinions without having to spend lots of time online, since I'm online too much, anyway.

To the grumpy, workerist, Hibernian-Caledonian, people's collective of Fenian, JR and jgmacg, thanks for bringing your wisdom and pithiness to the board. There are far too few good ol'-fashioned populist leftists in North America these days. Sure, y'all can be a terror of Celtic wit and sarcasm unleashed, but that's fine with me. Zeke and I can only hope to graduate to such proficiency in verbal salvos against the plutocrats and their lackeys.

Thanks in general to those who are older and wiser than most of the posters here and continue to show up despite the abundance of dumb shit that can be found.

All respects to D-squared, Jones and ol' Supple Ass for their ability to churn out long yet very readable (and often laughable) posts. They are not alone in this, but they come to mind.

And thanks in general to SportsJournalists.com for providing me with another venue of connecting with the outside world as I enter my third year of exile from civilization here in Outer Cowshitistan. Hopefully one day soon I'll live in a place that will make hours spent on SportsJournalists.com seem like less a good idea, but until the day that I either (a) live somewhere interesting or (b) get married, chances are I'll be a fixture around here. Apologies, I guess, to all for whom that's bad news.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to send a shout out to Mike for being a good sport about all the jokes about his inability to get laid. Your tolerance is way more than mine would be.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

To Michael Gee, BTExpress and Frank Ridgeway,

Thanks for impeccably logical and interesting posts about the biz and myriad other topics.

To DD,

For mag-quality Wire breakdowns that, frankly, dwarf Sepinwall's efforts.

To BYH,

For bringing it every time... except on one single topic.

To Moddy,

For understanding. For juggling so many chainsaws here and never getting nicked.

Draft saved Draft deleted